Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my tank 3 week ago my ammonia has gradually risen to 8ppm has been that high for the past week despite numerous water changes, I have not seen a spike in the nitrate or nitrites at all, is my tank stalled? I hve been using ammo lock along with the water changes, the person at petsmart tile me that it is possible that the ammo lock made it so that there is actually no ammonia in the tank and the 8 reading is actually my new zero, is this true?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ammo-Lock doesn’t remove ammonia. It just binds to it for a period of time (24-48 hours?) to make it non-toxic to the fish. In a fully cycled tank, this is ample time for the ammonia consuming bacteria to convert it to nitrite. In an un-cycled tank, the only way to remove the ammonia is through large, daily water changes (assuming you have fish in the tank). How often and how much water are you changing out? You should definitely see a drop in the ammonia right after a water change. If you don’t, we need to figure out why.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes ammonia lock only stops the ammonia from riseing any more and locks it in at a 8 if that's when u put it in there I would s top useing that I had to learn the hard way but just be paicent and do ur daily watter changes of 5 precent and after about 3 to 4 days u should see a drop in the ammonia level

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Your ammonia didn't appear to drop because it's an off the chart reading. If you did a water change, it reduced the concentration of ammonia regardless of the test reading.

--Do a massive water change of about 90%. You'll see it has dropped.

--Keep using the ammolock, the petsmart person is dead wrong.

--Feed lightly every other day at most. And I mean very, very lightly. Just enough so they each get a bite or two or three.

What size tank?

How many fish and what size?

What filtration are you using? (Don't clean or mess with the filter right now)

Yes ammonia lock only stops the ammonia from riseing any more and locks it in at a 8 if that's when u put it in there I would s top useing that I had to learn the hard way but just be paicent and do ur daily watter changes of 5 precent and after about 3 to 4 days u should see a drop in the ammonia level
Sorry, but I have to disagree. That advice also is dead wrong and will put their fish at serious risk. There is no truth to that about Ammolock at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
55g 10 bleeding heart tetras and 10 red fin tetras, eheim 2236 and a hot magnum 250, the media that comes with the filter in the eheim and a micron filter in the hot with a surface skimmer attached to the hot

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Ok, then do the following:

--Do a massive water change of about 90%. Test for ammonia immediately afterward. Also test again after 24 hours so we can see how much and how fast it's rising.

--Keep using the ammolock.

--Feed lightly every other day at most. And I mean very, very lightly. Just enough so they each get a bite or two or three.

--Don't clean the filters.

--Start testing for nitrite also.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Smclaren253 said:
Ok did a 40g water change and now it is showing 4 ppm
Change out another 40 gallons to get it down to 1ppm or below. Test nitrite also.

This will be what you'll need to do over the next days/weeks until the tank is cycled. You shouldn't have to change as much water (unless you're way overfeeding), but you'll have to probably do daily water changes, testing, and ammolock additions until the tank is cycled.

Feel free to keep posting back results and questions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Prov356 is right -

Ammo-Lock (nor any other product) does not stop the ammonia from rising. The only way to stop the ammonia from rising is to remove the source of ammonia - the fish.

Follow his advice and you'll get on the right path. The only other caution I would make is to try not to use the Ammo-Lock (or again most any other ammonia 'removing' products) to 'control' the ammonia this only results is overdosing the ammonia removing product which inhibits the nitrifying bacteria. I know this is not what other manufacturers say but I've seen it too often to ignore it. Best to do water changes and get the ammonia below 5. The bacteria will show up.

Next up will be high nitrites - this is especially dangerous for freshwater fish so be prepared to do frequent water changes do not reply on chemicals to control nitrite is my advice.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would also agree with Dr Tim and thanks for the further clarification. Use the water changes to control the toxins. The Ammolock is a dechlorinator, primarily, that binds ammonia into non-toxic form, but has it's limitations and should never be solely relied upon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok did not do another 40 g change, no time, did check the ammonia lever this morning after adding stress zyme last night and it is still saying 4 ppm maybe 5

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
StressZyme isn't really what you want to be adding right now. It's designed to break down organics into ammonia. You really don't want to accelerate that process in your tank at this point, unless you were accompanying that with heavy water changes.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Listen to Tim. 20% won't cut it. "No time" won't cut it. Take responsibility for your tank and do 90% as much as you need to until your ammonia is below 1, then keep it as low as you can until your tank is cycled.

·
Registered
554 Posts
sometimes seemingly hostile saves fishy lives. I'm sure Dielikemoviestars didn't mean it that way, though. Really hard to tell tone/intent over forum posts. Almost every fishkeeper has been in your position. Stick in there, change lots of water (build some nice lean arm muscle while you're at it :) ) and the fishies will come through fine and dandy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts