Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been in the African Cichlid hobby/ community for quite some time now and have found myself in a predicament. I keep a 75 gallon aquarium of assorted Mbunas and have recently become the owner of numerous fry which happen to be hybrids. The father of all of the fry is a red zebra and yellow lab cross while the mothers vary from a pure yellow lab and a pure rusty. All of my fish stores are not allowed to take fish from hobbyists considering that they buy from wholesalers and thus I have been left questioning what to do with the fry (There are about 19 right now and 40 others in an egg tumbler). I know there are many differing opinions about hybrids in the aquarium hobby, yet these hybrids are turning out very beautiful and I am more than willing to disclose the exact genetics to any interested buyers. I am just curious as to next steps I could take or any help that some my have to offer?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Welcome to C-F!

You do have a dilemma due to your species stocking choices in this tank and will continue to have more and more hybrid fry. Are you open to correcting the imbalance in your tank or is your plan to keep your existing fish?

First, I would stop trying to save any fry and hope that the existing adults will eat any that are born in this tank.

I'm not a fan of hybrids so I can't recommend sharing them with others despite informing them of their parentage. My choice would be to euthanize any fry from this tank. I know that sounds harsh but there are enough mixed species already in the hobby.

If you have a friend that would use them for feeder fish, you might consider that option.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Or alternatively, you could provide someone with some fry and small Mbuna to snack upon....
Three Synodontis catfish would do the trick. Or, alternatively you could stock this aquarium with a single, Central American, Trichromis salvini. One of those should do just fine in a busy tank like that, and will take care of all your little hybrid Mbuna monsters - no problem. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
See the duplicate thread on this topic in Unidentified. Do not reply here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts