Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I kept cichlids on a small scale up (55 gallon) until about 10-12 years ago when I decided to go Saltwater. Well, I pretty much discovered that I missed my cichlids, and within the next 3 months or so, will start to setting up a 240 gallon aquarium with an 84 gallon sump. (I'm in the process of moving and have to find a new place to live). I will also have a 60 gallon tank to use as a hospital/quarantine/whatever tank. I am currently thinking that I will be housing Peacocks in the tank, but who knows, I may change my mind in the interim. Especially since the cycling time will add another month or 2.

My question to the group is this - I know that in 10 or 12 years, a whole lot can change. I've been reading the forums, trying to catch up on the latest and greatest, but as you all know, there is a ton of information contained in many different posts. What are the top things that I should be on the lookout for, or that I should consider coming back to the hobby. Any and all help would be great.

Also, what online fish providers should I check out while I am waiting to be able to stock my tank? I'd like to be able to drool over fish, and I don't have too many local fish stores around here, and to my knowledge, only one stocks cichlids (although I'll be checking that out soon).

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 240G?

Ten years ago we thought Dr. Tim's bottled bacteria was a good recommendation for instant stocking...it is not made any more and although lots of products have come on the market, it seems the original tried and true methods (fishless cycle with ammonia) work best.

The decline of the LFS happened during the last 10 years. Lots of other "snake-oil" products have come on the market as well.

Vendors should not be named in the forums, but Members can send you a PM with recommendations. I buy almost exclusively online and even when I buy from a hobbyist, I verify the source of that persons stock (usually the same online vendor I use).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tips. Sorry, I missed the rule regarding vendors, I see that now. My apologies.

Yeah, sad about the demise of the LFS. There were a few I used to use for Saltwater , since I lived near Dallas, and a few I know of in Houston, but that's a couple-3 hours away.

Definitely doing fishless cycling, don't agree in stressing out or killing a fish for that purpose.

Tank dimensions are, I believe 6' x 2' x 30" but I could be wrong on that, I've had the tank a long time. It is already drilled with dual overflows.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm also a returning hobbyist, coming back from a long hiatus, but I'm new to cichlids. I've previously had salt and fresh aquaria (in Dallas, too!) but now I'm in the Austin area and since we basically have Lake Malawi water running out the tap, I'm going with Malawi Mbuna to keep it low-maintenance. :)
The biggest change I've noticed is in the lighting. LEDs are so much cheaper, less expensive to run, more compact, and more flexible regarding daylight/moonlight cycles that I don't know if many people are recommending anything else these days.
Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts