Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new owner of african cichlids. I have been lurking on your forum for a couple of weeks. I have a bumble bee, acei, kenyi, and a pleco. They are small but I need info on what to feed my acei and kenyi. I bought omega one small cichlid pellets. The bumble loves them but the other 2 are not too found of them. A little advice will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I researched Omega One. The quality of the protein sources are good and the percent of protein is good. Maybe your acei and kenyi are sick? Being in a tank with crabro might do it, LOL. They should eat virtually anything voraciously.

Try a slice of fresh cucumber. Is there a lot of algae in your tank? Maybe they are filling up on that.

Also the 2mm size is larger than I use, are they small juveniles? If yes you could crush it up a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will try the vegies if the bumble is a cabro then ya he could be a jerk sometimes lol thank you for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is also a brand new tank not really any visible algae it has been running for 2 weeks before
I placed the fish. I have not checked the pH yet I am a rookie and will admit don't quite understand this part yet. I will be buying a tester kit next week or this Friday. I gave into buying the fish probably shouldn't have but couldn't wait any longer. I will try the cucumber and will post the results also crush the pellets.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you sure the tanks cycled? I'm guessing only running two weeks that its not fully cycled which means you probably have high ammonia and/or nitrites that is stressing your fish. I would buy a test kit ASAP and see what your levels are.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Just what I was going to say, firemedic. Maybe the fish are not feeling too well because of ammonia in their tank.

Running two weeks without fish or ammonia will not start the cycle in the tank.

If you find you have ammonia, you might consider getting Dr. Tim's One and Only to give you an "instant" cycle.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DJRansome said:
If you find you have ammonia, you might consider getting Dr. Tim's One and Only to give you an "instant" cycle.
+1 Also if you cant afford the test kit right now or are waiting for the Dr Tims, I would do some water changes just to be on the safe side. Doing like 30% daily I think would help to make sure not levels build up to toxic levels until you know what you have going on in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow would they act different if the ammonium was high. They seem fine they just spit the pellets back out. I will go to the store today to get that instant cycle. Does it hurt or help if I had live plants for the two weeks. They are small plants I didnt buy the big ones I dont know why. I did not have any fish in the tank for the 2 weeks this day 2 of the fish being in the tank they a very colorful compared to when I first put them in. I put pics of the tank up in my profile thanks for all the advice guys I plan on learning with this tank and for xmas I will be going for a 100+ tank. I think 6 month learning period I should be able to handle some thing larger. This website is very helpful keep up the good work and hopefully I learn enough to help others.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Live plants definitely consume Nitrates which is a good thing in a cycled tank, but I believe that they also consume ammonia which is not a good thing when you are trying to cycle the tank. I'm not an expert on live plants so hopefully someone who is can chime in. From what I've read plants should not be added until the tank is cycled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked on them they did not eat the cucumber but I caught them tearing into the plecos algae flakes they seem to like that is that ok for them? should I even be giving the pleco a flake he seems to just stay inside the rock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The pleco algae flakes are fine for them. At first I wasn't feeding my pleco at all, but he was such a good algae cleaner I started giving them to him every once in a while to make sure he was getting enough food. But now I have to give it to him when he is in a cave or the other fish will eat it on him.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Ammonia is a waste product from the fish and it is toxic to them. Not eating like a pig is about the biggest symptom of a problem fish can have, LOL.

If they have only been in the tank 2 days, there has not been enough time for ammonia build-up. But they also are still probably freaked-out from their travels and new tank. It is normal for a fish not to eat for a week or more in a new tank.

So...stop feeding. Maybe skip a day. Get all the "stuff" out of the tank, like cucumber. Get a test kit from the fish store today if possible and test daily. Hopefully you have a couple of days before toxins build up and you can order Dr. Tim's online for overnight delivery.

Good luck with your tank! :thumb:

PS don't buy strips. You want a kit with test tubes that can test pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts