Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hello as i am new on here, i just thought i would let everyone know what my setup is etc and what i'm upto at the moment..

I have had 5 juveniles since January so have been researching since i got them and trying to learn what i can. They are only in a small aquarium at the moment and i am currently cycling (2 1/2 weeks in) the new 240L tank.

I have -
1 x auratus (f)
1 x scolofi (m)
1 x red zebra/yellow lab
2 x elongatus types?

I have been on another forum but thought i would try here to compare the types of responses and advice given.

I have crushed coral sand (i know alot of people don't think this is the best but i was recommended it by the aquatic centre)

I am going to have a black background.

I was going to get ocean rock but didn't as the other forums general opinion was to go with more of a solid rock type (slate, yorkstone etc) but after speaking to my aquatic centre again i have ordered 20kgs of ocean rock.

I am trying to come up with a stocklist, as once the tank is ready i want to put a minimum of 10 new fish in at the same time as my current 5.
With a view to getting 30-35 fish in total.

I would like a mixed sex mbuna only tank.

Would any of you get a male auratus?
What do you guys think about this as a setup?

Amy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why Ocean Rock, Sounds like your aquatic center is just trying to make a buck. i would just get Limestone from a landscaping supply place, Ocean rock is usually very expensive, and it is usually just limestone rock. I guess how much are you paying for it, maybe your aquatic center has base rock for cheap.

Crushed coral sand many people worry about the sharp coral/shell edges hurting the fish. I have used a crushed coral sand mix, and have not had bad experiences personally, but others may chime in differently.

Get rid of the auratus, they are killers (or can be)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said ocean rock as it displaces less water, is better for the water balance and has many holes which are good for the smaller juveniles (mine are still smallish). I am not actually getting it from them though, like you said it was expensive so i have found a wholesale supplier cheaper. :)

The auratus if fine at the moment but alot of people say 'she will get horns as such' when she's bigger. I will keep her for now but rehome her if neccesary.

Cheers,
Amy

·
Registered
625 Posts
I recycled all of my live rock from my old reef tank with my cichlids. Personally, I love the look, you get some colorful Mbuna swimming around there and it looks just like the reef I had, minus the extreme work it took compared to cichlids ^_^ it is good for biofiltration too- it is very porous. Every now and then I rearrange the lay out and clean the rocks in discarded tank water and am amazed at all the stuff it traps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That it traps that much stuff isnt a good thing IMO, as the waste and everything that it traps is a nitrate factory, once again, this is just my opinion, I am sure people much smarter than i will come along and chime in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm with you BigFish54, I just viewed it as a good natural filter but I don't consider myself all knowing :D

Personally, I've never had a nitrate problem, but I also run a very oversized filtration flow for my tank, I am stocked well under the 1" per gallon rule, and am very good at not overfeeding them.

I am sure once I start increasing my population the nasty cons of porous rock will slap me in the face! If it gets to be a problem I have no problem changing it out.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Length is more important than liters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it is like anything and there are pro and cons of using it!

Would a siphone not be strong enough to vacume some of the detrius out if it was done regularly?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd get rid of the auratus as mentioned, and also the red zebra/yellow lab hybrid.
1m:4f socolofi
1m:7f elongatus

And add one more species. Either yellow labs or red zebras would work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am deffintiely not saying that it cant be used, just go into it knowing the rocks need to be taken out and washed in a bucket of your aquarium water every once in a while, they are cool looking rocks.

I dont think a siphone will be strong enough, i have had a salt water aquarium and live rock in it, that stuff has crevices all through it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd get rid of the auratus as mentioned, and also the red zebra/yellow lab hybrid.
1m:4f socolofi
1m:7f elongatus

And add one more species. Either yellow labs or red zebras would work.
Thanks for your advice, suggestions are welcomed.
I am not really bothered about getting any other yellows so may keep the suspected hybrid. (i am too sentimental)
If i post a pic of it and the 2 elongatus types can you tell me what you think they are just to make sure..

Cheers
Amy

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The fish like and in some cases need to be in groups. So usually people will choose between three mixed-gender groups (in a 48" tank) with 1m:4f of each. Or all one gender with one fish of each species, no two look alikes.

Since you had the two elongatus (try a post in unidentified...what were they sold as?) I thought maybe you were going for groups?

The problem with groups and a hybrid is...how do you find more of the same?

And the even bigger problem with keeping a lone hybrid in the tank is...what if they crossbreed with your socolofi or elongatus? Then the sentimental truly suffer because when they cannot save any of the fry (adult fish will eat them).

If you are going all-male they keeping the hybrid works better but you would want to get rid of the extra elongatus. Maybe stock 8 unique males. Avoiding aggressive ones like any Melanochromis (auratus) and kenyi would increase your odds for success.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJRansome said:
The fish like and in some cases need to be in groups. So usually people will choose between three mixed-gender groups (in a 48" tank) with 1m:4f of each. Or all one gender with one fish of each species, no two look alikes.

Since you had the two elongatus (try a post in unidentified...what were they sold as?) I thought maybe you were going for groups?

The problem with groups and a hybrid is...how do you find more of the same?

And the even bigger problem with keeping a lone hybrid in the tank is...what if they crossbreed with your socolofi or elongatus? Then the sentimental truly suffer because when they cannot save any of the fry (adult fish will eat them).

If you are going all-male they keeping the hybrid works better but you would want to get rid of the extra elongatus. Maybe stock 8 unique males. Avoiding aggressive ones like any Melanochromis (auratus) and kenyi would increase your odds for success.
When i first got them i didn't know much and didn't know about the whole hybrid situation so i got my first 5 from an LFS. They weren't sold as anything and the elongatus types weren't sold as the same types of fish they are just quite similar.

I have already posted pics of the elongatus types in the identification section.

I honestly don't know what to do now. I would prefere the groups option personally as i think it will look nicer and is a bit more natural.

Do you really think the yellow lab type would breed with my scolofi etc?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Yes. Any fish that has no same-species partners is likely to try to breed with any available fish of the opposite gender.

If your hybrid is female you can just let her spit in the tank.

If your hybrid is a male no such luck because you will not be able to tell who he spawns with and you cannot tell a hybrid from a pure fish after they are spit. Hybrid fry can look exactly like either parent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for this info DJRansome,

I will try to work out if mine is male or female.
What if i get a few more yellow lab/red zebra types from the same LFS where i got my current one from and am i right in saying that they should then only breed with their own type and i will just let any of them spit in the tank?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yay our ocean rock arrived yesterday so we power showered it with hot water and i stuck my finger in all the holes and felt all the edges and knocked off any sharp bits (have cut finger to prove it). The end of my husbands toothbrush was great for stabbing inside the holes!

Had too much sand so had to take some out. The sand is still deep but all rocks are buried right to the bottom. It doesn't look like we have 25kg of rock in there as the bottom of it is covered but i am pleased with how it looks.

What do you reckon for our first proper tank?.... (still awaiting black background btw)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts