Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi well yesterday afternoon i bought a baby wild oscar(about 4cm)and a baby red (the same size has the wild)...after the tank had cycled and i was getting the readings i wanted i put them into together(yesterday 5th may).....

anyway,i bought some live brine shrimp and live bloodworm and a quality pellet...

its now been about 24hrs and i fed them brine shrimp late last night then left them to this morning,fed them again brine shrimp this morning....now my 1st question is this

they are very shy and to watch them in there new home is a joy,but every movement outside of the tank makes them stop what there doing and sink to the bottom and hide(they are in a 63gallon tank)....how long will this behaviour carry on for...

2nd question is

cant really feed them the pellets at the moment because of the above problem,i dont want to leave the pellets floating because they may take 30-40mins to start there tour of the tank...should i keep on feeding them the brine shrimp and bloodworm(bought a bloodworm feeder)...

3rd question

i have noticed a rise in the PH in the last 24hrs from 7ph now to 7.5-8Ph,should i try to drop this Ph and if yes what is the best way to do this...doesanyone no why there is a rise in Ph

all other tests are fantastic ammonia,nitrites and nitrates are all in the perfect range..

4th question

i will only be keeping the one oscar for my tank because it is big enough for two..i will pick the fish with the best colour and personality,the other will return to the shop to move him/her on....with this plan how long before i need to move one out because of fighting or size issues...

sorry for the long post but my god i love these fish,the colour on the baby wild is outstanding and if i can i will post pictures if poeple are interested...and if i can get a good pic on my phone..

anyway thankyou in advance

·
Registered
197 Posts
Question 1.

Until they feel comfortable in their new home. Give it a couple of days.

Question 2.

I'd stop with the live foods all the time for now. Give it a day or two and they'll be begging for the pellets.

Question 3.

I wouldn't worry about changing the PH. See what it stabilizes at and if thats in a good range or even a little acidic I wouldnt worry about it. Throw a piece of driftwood or so in the tank to help it stabilize a little on the aidic side. Id rather have stable PH than a reading in the perfect range that takes a lot of effort to maintain.

Question 4.

If its a true "wild" oscar the red will be the most colorful. Can tell you that now. If its already got color *** been told its not wild. (could be wrong on this) But every pair of fish is different they may never fight, or as young teens they could get into it... just keep an eye on it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Strohs58 said:
Question 4.

If its a true "wild" oscar the red will be the most colorful. Can tell you that now. If its already got color I've been told its not wild. (could be wrong on this) But every pair of fish is different they may never fight, or as young teens they could get into it... just keep an eye on it.

Good luck.
I wouldn't be so sure about that I've seen red oscars full grown that were almost completely black as a matter of fact I have a 12 inch lutino oscar that really doesn't have that much red at all and I've seen some really nice looking wild oscar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts