Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a 65 gallon aquarium and think I have most of my cichlids identified but I just added two new cichlids and I'm having a hard time finding any that resemble one of my new ones. He definitely doesn't look like any of the other ones I have his mouth looks more narrow to me. Here's a picture and I really appreciate any help I can get!

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish

·
Registered
948 Posts
That would be Labidochromis joanjohnsonae, sometimes sold commercially as "Textilis", which is a similar, but much less common species, or as "Exasperatus", a junior synonym. Females of joanjohnsonae and textilis are very hard to differentiate, but males of joanjohnsonae turn mostly blue, while males of textilus keep the unique color pattern of the females.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have one more that I'm not completely positive about I think it is a pseudotropheus traverse or elongatus? Would you be able to identify it?the blue guy in the front ☺
Beautiful tank and lovely thick substrate! Do you have a plenum/UGF? Don't your fish dig? What sub is that? Sorry no idea about your fish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think it's a poor excuse for both species of pseudotropheus but I personally think it's a traverse and not an elongatus. When you stated phelum, did you mean phlegm? I do not know what a phelum is and is an unfamiliar aquaculture term.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think what was meant was that it may not look super pure. Possibly a hybrid fish. If not, I'm not able to identify it right off the bat. My initial thoughts on the Joanjohnsonae was that he was possibly a hybrid male also, but with strong joanjohnsonae. It looks darker than mine, but, I've never seen one over black substrate. So, I'm backing off my initial thoughts to take a "Wait and see" approach.

And phelum are colonies of beneficial bacteria in the substrate.
I think what's meant here is plenum. A "Deep sand bed" filter is another name. The idea is that you put enough sand in for the bottom to go anoxic and then you'll get anaerobic denitrification down there. This is the idea at least, but it just doesn't work. At least I've never seen it work. The reason is that you almost certainly will never reach the anaerobic conditions down there necessary to do this, especially because the fish move the sand and expose it to new oxygen. No reason to remove it though, if you like the sand.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
That last one is definitely not a Yellow tailed Acei. Just another zebra type hybrid, male. Your Joanjohnsonae looks fine to me.

What is a "traverse"? Is that misspelled?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts