Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Andrew.
I recently discovered this site and it seems to be an incredible resource for information and answers on all sorts of fish related topics!
As for me, I'm very new to Fish. I have a basic knowledge that I'm looking to expand. I'll be getting my first tank shortly. Its a 10gal. Its coming with 5 Gourami's. Two blue, two gold and an opaline. They are currently around 3". The gentlemen I'm getting them from said they are quite aggressive. (towards other fish in his tank) In about a few weeks I am planning on expanding to a 50gal tank. My first question is, what other fish would be acceptable in the tank? As of right now, I'm looking at a Hifin Spotted Pleco and possibly a Firemouth. (or two?) From what I've gathered they are good beginner Cichlids. Would these fish work well with the Gourami's? What other fish (specifically Cichlids) would work well?

Looking forward to chatting and learning from everyone!
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey Andrew welcome to the forum. Your right this is great place to come with all your questions on how to properly set stuff up and get the stocking right the first time. I am not the greatest with stocking so I will let someone more experienced in that help you out, but for a 10g that sounds like an awful lot of fish. :-?

An idea for your 10g tho would be to get a small colony of Shell dwellers for it. I just got my 1st group and they are really neat to watch and have some attitude for being so small.

Once again welcome and will being seeing you around. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When you say 50 gallons what are the demension of the tank? The footprint of the tank is important. We could better answer your question if you supply this info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank will be 48" Long, 12 3/4" Wide and 20" Deep.

I haven't purchased the tank yet, so I am open to other suggestions that might be better suited for the fish I'd like to get.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That sounds like a 55g tank. The 4' tank is good. You should be fine with that tank. Firemouths do get aggressive IME with them. You might want to go with a more peaceful cichlid if you plan on keep the stock you already have.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You should check out the 55 gal cookie cutter setups for some ideas. In particular, look at the south american setups. You'll see they include some non-cichlids. If you want to go with cichlids, it's a lot easier to not have to work around the fish you already have, like the gourami's. As aggressive as they are to each other, they're no match for many cichlids. Also look at the New World Genus Gallery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the information and warm welcome!

After looking at some tanks today, I've decided to get a 75 gallon instead. 48" long by 18 wide by 21 high. I think it'll allow much greater flexibility especially with the depth... I'd like to put in a 3D background.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the additional space and an abundance of hiding spots, could the Gourami's live peacefully with Cichlids such as the Firemouth? I've read a lot, and to be quite honest, there is a lot of conflicting information. Makes it quite confusing! I'm also considering a Rubber Lip Pleco and possibly a Clown Loach.

·
Registered
705 Posts
with the additional space you could get a group and ideally get a pair out of them and ditch the rest. you could do additional tank mates as well cichlid wise. id stay away from the loach. they can get pretty big long term. (around an inch or more per year up to 12-15 being maximum) id take a look at some of the cookie cutter setups and perhaps some other SA/CA cichlids u enjoy and go from there. just dont be afraid to post up your Questions. GL to ya

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Andrew157 said:
With the additional space and an abundance of hiding spots, could the Gourami's live peacefully with Cichlids such as the Firemouth? I've read a lot, and to be quite honest, there is a lot of conflicting information. Makes it quite confusing! I'm also considering a Rubber Lip Pleco and possibly a Clown Loach.
The clown loaches get big and perfer to be in groups of at least 3. To be honest I use to keep gouramis untill I found the many different cichlids there are. Firemouths are a 50/50 shot on aggression imo. I have had mild mannered ones and some that were the devils spawn. Sight breaks and hiding spots are your best bet.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
+1 on the shellies for the 10 gal. I love mine!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome Andrew! You will learn alot form the members on here. I know I have. They are very knowledgeable, and will point you in the right direction. I'm new here as well, and everyone has been great. Good luck with everything. :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
des said:
Andrew157 said:
Thanks everyone for the information and warm welcome!

After looking at some tanks today, I've decided to get a 75 gallon instead. 48" long by 18 wide by 21 high. I think it'll allow much greater flexibility especially with the depth... I'd like to put in a 3D background.
Now your talking!
+1 It's WELL worth the jump from 55 to 75. Bigger is always better, but the cost is usually prohibitive. The small price difference for the jump to 75 is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys!

I've been thinking about the stocking on my tank. What would be a good bigger cichlid to get? (around 8") I was originally thinking of getting a blood parrot, but given they're a hybrid, I'm a little hesitant. I was attracted to them due to their milder aggression in comparison to others I've found in that size range. Is there another good option?

Current stocking:

2 Blue Gourami's 3"
1 Opaline Gourami 2"
2 Gold Gourami's 2"
1 Green Cory Cat 3"
1 Pangasius Catfish 4"

Future additions:
1 Firemouth
1 Convict
1 Rubber Lip Pleco

1 - 16 of 16 Posts