Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any two of these species coexist in a 33 gallon (36"x18" footprint)?

My original plan was to put juvenile hecqui and calvus in the new tank, but now I'm not convinced that the hecqui will be good neighbors. It's time to move everybody from their QT/growout tanks...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have some breeding hecqui in a 6 footer with comps and n. longicaudatus (most of these fish are juveniles) and I think if you stack rocks up high enough along the back so that the calvus can get up away from the sand a bit, they'll do fine. The hecqui show no interest in the rocks or any fish around or in them. The hecqui mom seems ok with the tank mates as long as they don't get too close to the cloud of fry. They remind me of caudo's in that regard. In 18" of width, you should be able to do this. Mine are tough little fish, but not psychotic. Can't say about helianthus as I haven't kept them, but haven't heard anything that'd make me think they'd do well with tankmates once breeding. But, I had heard that about n. pulcher, and haven't seen them to be nearly as bad as I feared they'd be.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can give some input on Helianthus since I have a breeding pair (?) in a 29g with two other rockdweller species. (My question mark means I have a question too) I have 5 week old (from free swimming date) fry and three N. helianthus, and they all are getting along in the same area of the tank. While the three are doing an excellent job of keeping the juvie J. transcriptus and T. vittatus away from the spawning site, they are not beating them up. The juvies are 5/8-3/4" OL.

My question: Could I have 1 male and 2 females and he spawned with both in caves close together? I have to add that my rockwork is assembled with sealant in a way that provides maximum isolated caves in a relatively small area-better than stacking pvc pipes. I have heard how tenatious heleos can be.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on leaving the helianthus alone, since I've seen what kind of neighbors brichardi-complex can be. My juvie hecqui knocked off the plecos :x in their tank, so I'm thinking they may be more aggressive than I had planned for. I'm hoping the larger tank will help the calvus fare better than the plecos.

Thankfully- my plecos are breeding like crazy, so the loss of a few juvies isn't too painful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a helianthus in a 30 gal tank with a comp, cylindricus and a buescheri. All singles, the
helianthus ruled the tank had to take him out. I think he was more aggressive than the
brichardi I once had. The tank does much better now that I replaced him with a N. toae

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I've even had lab fry knock off plecos, so I would not be too hard on the hecqui. :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also have a 55g with A. comp and N. helianthus together. The comps are holding their own but the helianthus are clearly the dominant species.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts