Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
duke105077 said:
can i get away with a 200w heater in a 90 gallon?
Depends on room temp. You may be able to do with less. A 200w may be too much, and it may be preferable to do with less. For typical room temps of 70 or so, a 200W should be enough. Going too high is much more of a risk that going too low. 'More power' is not what you want when it comes to heaters.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Much depends on things that vary from time to time and different tanks. During the summer much depends on evaporation cooling the tank. Room humidity, air circulation, water splash, all will make a difference. Winter is some what the same except it also has other factors like whether you shut down your heating while gone, is the tank next to an outside wall or in a sunny spot next to a heat duct. I should think 200 might be borderline high but you can see where there is no "true" answer due to the variables. I recommend going small and adding more if you see a true need. Your tank, in your house, will not work exactly like any other tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, in the summer my house is around 70-75. in winter, its 65-70. its set up on an inside wall out of the sun.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Duke, there's a thread below of mine where I ask about heating a 180. There's a lot of really good information there you may be interested in. I wound up going very under-powered according to the manufacturer's suggestion and will do some tests before I get fish in my new tank. I may also wind up having two heaters that I'll change out when the weather changes my house from A/C to heat.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Nope. The energy use is not really a factor in this case. The heaters we use turn almost all the energy into heat so "X" kilowatts will get "X BTU of heat with only slight difference whether it is in short bursts or long. Most practical would be if we could get a heater that was exactly right and it would come on and stay on full time without raising the temp above what we want. That way the wear and tear on the heater contacts would be near zero. Problem is, that ideal is never going to happen since the need changes almost hourly.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Plus even if there is some difference in energy costs, it won't be enough to risk losing a whole tank of fish. What would that cost?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts