Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up a 170 gallon sumped with a 55 gallon. I bought the Eheim 300 watt heater which says it's rated for up to 264 gallons...

It's been in there almost 16 hours and it's still not up to temp (I want 77-78 degrees), starting temp was 68-69 is now 72.

I know the 5 watts per gallon rule but their rating is 264, about 50 gallons over my full cap (I'm, of course not full to the brim in the 55 for backflow allowance etc.) so... Am I being impatient or are these heaters no good?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
that's way too long. Something is not right.

And a side note, its better to have 2 smaller heaters than 1 giant one. If it gets stuck "on" it can fry your fish.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Can I do some guessing here? Is the heater kicking on and off? Is it possible you are using the numbers on the heater to set the temp? If so forget that, it is usually just a random guess what the actual temperature will be. I would set the heater to a high enough temperature to make sure it will be more than the 78 you want and then it should stay on for a much longer time. Another way to get to the temp quicker is to drain off some water and use warm to refill. If you drain some off and refill with the hottest water your water heater is likely to produce (120-140?) you can get the temp up pretty quick. Hope this helps some. It's a bummer standing around waiting.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestions all. But I have found an even simpler solution :oops: :oops: :oops: ...

Bad thermometer! I don't know why I assume everything digital is flawless :oops: I'm going back to glass and mercury. I put a new, still digital, thermometer in their on a hunch and they were cooking at 85 degrees! Turned the heater down and all is well. :thumb:

ALthough I"m an idiot, I'm glad it was a simple thing like that. You're right though, heater is set at 82 and it holds me at 78 but it's working at least.

I kept thinking Eheim is a good quality brand so I thought about how many times I've accidentally submerged the digital thermometer and dried it out... :lol: Thanks though!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Been close to that. Did you know that some digitals will begin to read off when the battery is going flat? That was a bit hard for me to figure. Glass seems to be as good as any. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts