Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank heater has started to cycle 5 seconds on 15 seconds off nonstop is this normal? Tank temp seems steady, just wondering if this is a preclude to it going bad.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It's not normal at all, but couldn't tell you specifically why it does that. Any sign of a misbehaving heater tells me it's time to replace. The on/off setpoints should be a degree apart and it usually takea a while to raise the tank water to that set point before turning off. It'll then take some minutes before dropping a degree or so again before turning back on. It works like the furnace in a home.

The heat from a pump output of second heater could mess with it that way. For instance, if you had a second heater right next to it. Or a second heater right next to a filter intake and the outflow was hitting this heater. But, all unlikely. I'd say she's telling you it's her time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I personally would look into replacing that heater really soon . It's been my experience that once they start acting like yours........they will soon get stuck "on" or stuck "off".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its only a few months old so I'll just go swap it out at the LFS I bought it from-thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts