Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Heater Not Working?

979 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  prov356 
#1 ·
Hey I got a 250 watt heater for my 75 gallon tank, and I set the heater at 79 degrees, but it won't go past 75 for the past 2 days, is something wrong?

#2 ·
If the room is at typical room temp, then something is definitely not right with it. 250w should be more than enough for a 75.

Does it indicate that it's coming on, meaning is there an indicator light coming on?

Did it heat the water to 79 at one time, but now is not?

What't the room temp?

#3 ·
Not sure what the room temp is, its just in my room.

Well I filled the tank with water, then put the heater in, could the water have been too cold to put the heater in right away?

The heater has a light, its green when the temperature is ok, and red when it is heating. The red light is on every now and then, but mostly it stays green.

#6 ·
I've had heaters that weren't calibrated well, so I'd just turn them up, but that's playing with fire, and I eventually replaced them. Your only other option is to keep turning it up a little bit at a time until it keeps the temp where you want it. If it's clicking off at 75, but set higher, then definitely faulty. If it were me, I'd replace it, as they're not that expensive. When I get tempted to cut corners, I usually just picture a tank of dead fish, then I'm online ordering a replacement. :)

#7 ·
prov356 said:
I've had heaters that weren't calibrated well, so I'd just turn them up, but that's playing with fire, and I eventually replaced them. Your only other option is to keep turning it up a little bit at a time until it keeps the temp where you want it. If it's clicking off at 75, but set higher, then definitely faulty. If it were me, I'd replace it, as they're not that expensive. When I get tempted to cut corners, I usually just picture a tank of dead fish, then I'm online ordering a replacement. :)
I just had an image of the tank full of dead fish. :eek: We have always used the simple slap on thermometer to gauge the temp of the tank. We used to have problems with our 55 gallon tanks heater. It was just poorly made and kept shorting out. I would suggest following Provs advice without the fish in it of course. :wink:

#12 ·
newforestrob said:
this heaters been running like this for over a year,after posting my comment I did a search to order the same heater and found that it can be recalibrated,its an eheim jager tru temp,it has a readjustment ring,I'll take a look at it tomorrow during a w.c.
That is one that can be recalibrated, that's correct. I think that's the only one I've seen where that's possible. Because I was even thinking chances are that's not what this guy has, and sure enough... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.