Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is all cycled and ready to go, but since yesterday the temp in my tank is droping. :roll: It's gone from 90*F and now is 75*F. The heater light is on, and when I touch the heater is feels warm/hot. When I did the huge water change last night I had to add cold water since it came from my garden hose. So I know its working at least some how because the water was warmed up several degrease from when I put it in last night. Please note that the temp in the tank had dropted around 10* before doing the water change. Advice? :oops: The heater is a 250w Jager.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I need to make sure I understand your situation.

You set the temp to 90 to cycle, and then the temp dropped 10 degrees without you changing anything? And continues to drop even though the heater indicates that it's heating?

What size is the tank? What's the temp in the room?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is correct. It was 88-90* for the last 3 weeks in the tank.

The tank is 125 gallons. The room temp has been anywhere from 65-75 over the last few weeks. Right now its closer to 65*.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Any time a heater shows signs of malfunction, I'd replace it. There's no point in trying to salvage a $20 heater when you'll be keeping hundreds of $$ worth of fish.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I go with the same brand do you think? I looked at the review area as well. They really all seem to be the same...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
They really all seem to be the same...
They are all the same, same junk. I usually try a different brand, but I've had junk heaters from every manufacturer out there. There are lemons in every batch. Right now I"m using the cheap tetra's that auto set to 78. So far so good, but it's early. I understand they make a 250. My logic in using them is since they'll all be tossed as junk eventually, might as well pay less and not have the aggravation of seeing the dial setting not sync'd up with the actual temp because there is no dial setting. If you want to go high end, check out the controllers like what you can get at jehmco.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tim! I think I may have pound part of the problem. I didnt realize that there was a "water line" on the heater, and part of it is supposed to be out of the water. :x I've never had a heater like that before. Do you think this could fix the problem, or could have I fried it by doing this?

·
Registered
561 Posts
that water line is a disclaimer.
all my ebo jager are under water.
did u reset the heater?
once u got the correct temp? (on off)
I'm a ebo jager man :thumb:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you reset the heater? Note that this heater came with a used tank, so I dont know much about it at all.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sometimes the water line on a heater is a minimum water level, meaning you should keep the water above that line while it's turned on. Such is the case with Eheim manufactured Jager heaters.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this one was made before they merged with Eheim. It has a water level and on it says not to submerge it past that line.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I had some of those and it said 'minimum water level'. Very confusing. Did that mean that you had to make sure it was at least submerged to that level or submerged no more than that level? I threw the last of them out recently. I want a heater that I can fully submerge and that is clear about that. I don't know why this is so hard. I wish someone would come along with a good aquarium heater.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This has been a frequent question ever since the first tank, I think. I'm now using the Via-Aqua titanium heaters for all the features they have at a price I'm willing to pay. That does not mean they are perfect and I want to warn anybody thinking about using them. Get them from a good dealer who will back them up. They have the poorest quality control of any product I buy. I get them from a good dealer who replaces them without question. I don't know what kind of deal he gets from the wholesaler but he knows that they have a very high failure rate out of the box. When I get new ones, I now put them in my reserve water and test them. Failures out of the box run 2 out of 5. They apparently do nothing like a test. They either fail to heat at all or fail to turn off. Must be a glitch in the temp sensing thermister but it is sealed and there is no way for me to test it without ruining the warrenty so I just send them back. My dealer sends me UPS shipping prepaid so it is a matter of time and trouble. So far the ones that work, work very well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
MandyBlue said:
OMG! I had my husband pick up a heater last night at the LFS, and the thing was a dude. Ugh! :x
you got something against dudes? :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have just replaced a Marineland Stealth Pro 200 heater (on the so called recall list) at Petsmart and exchanged it or a Fluval M200. The packaging said it is immerseble. When I unpacked it I discovered it was marked for minimum and maximum levels of immersion. This seems pretty stupid. What does immersible mean?
To me it should mean totally immersible with only the wires above the water line. All in-tank heaters need to be immersed inorder to heat water. What's the deal here? Can they be totally immersed or not?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The fluval is fully submersible, I've had one underwater for 6 months now. This has been discussed in other threads and some people actually contacted fluval, who confirmed, fully submersible

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have 2 visi-therm deluxe 250w heaters. I have one running in my 75 gallon cycling tank right now. It keeps the water temp pretty steady, but the dial temp is nowhere close to what the water temp is. Then I just put my second one in my daughter 10 gallon goldfish tank to help treat ich. I know its way to big for that tank, but is was all I had. So I set the temp on the dial around 82 or so, and was going to monitor it as needed. When I woke up the heater was running non stop, but the temp of the tank was at room temp. I really do not like these heaters at all. I had bought both of them at the same time and one of them had some weird purple small balls moving around in it. The store exchange it for me, but there seems to be nothing but problem with these.

I'm not sure what size heater I have in my tropical tank. It came as a kit (Aqueon). But that heater has no dial but 1 little notch to represent around 77 or something like that, and it keeps the temp pretty close to that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Shellies. My fluval is going diving today. 8)

Les

1 - 20 of 21 Posts