Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm in the process of setting up my second tank, a 125 for Geophagus Tapajos. I'm planning to run two heating elements off an Inkbird controller. Looking for suggestions on elements. I'd like to go with titaniumand probably looking at double 500 watt. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't have any answer but I do have a question for you if you don't mind. Is your inkbird capable of controlling two heaters ? Or do you have one inkbird per heater ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
2- 500 watt titanium heaters for a 125 is overkill imo. I have one 600 watt for my 265 and it works fantastic. Best money I ever spent on a heater. Pm me if you want to know where I purchased it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you buy a quality heater, and position it to operate efficiently, ie very close to filter intake or outflow, a single 300 watt heater will easily handle any 125 g tank. I am able to heat 180 g tanks with a single 300w Jaeger. A caveat to that claim is the heaters I use are 8-10 yrs old, when the Eheim Jaegers were among the best available. Like most everything, quality has dropped significantly in recent years, according to posts from various fish forums.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Oscar6 said:
If you buy a quality heater, and position it to operate efficiently, ie very close to filter intake or outflow, a single 300 watt heater will easily handle any 125 g tank. I am able to heat 180 g tanks with a single 300w Jaeger. A caveat to that claim is the heaters I use are 8-10 yrs old, when the Eheim Jaegers were among the best available. Like most everything, quality has dropped significantly in recent years, according to posts from various fish forums.
I agree.
What temp is the room where the tank is? My tanks are in the basement where it is usually around 67f in the winter and 76f in the summer and I use a single inline 300w heater on my 210g tank.
I did used to use two 250w Jagr heaters before I switched to inline. I actually switched after one of the heaters died on me and the one 250w heater was keeping the 210 at 78 degrees on its own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The basement is normally around 65 degrees year round. I ended up going with two Finnex 300 watt titanium running off an Inkbird controller. Looking for a target temp around 80. I probably could have gotten away with a single, but like the redundancy of two. Everything is ordered now, just gotta wait for delivery. Filtration is an FX-6, lights are the Current USA Serene 72 setup. Gonna run the current USA eflux wave pumps. I'll get pictures posted when it's up and running. Looking to jump start the cycle with media from my FX4 on my 75 and add lemon tetras first. Probably won't be adding the Geos until March or April.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts