Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two rarely fight. They have both been doing a great job defending the fry, and mom has been relentless at keeping the BA Tetras away.

All of a sudden, he wont let her near the fry. She is clamped up and her color has faded

Interesting that last spawn she chased him away for a day or two. Then alowed him back and all was well again.

I will leave them tonight and see how it goes. He doesn't look like he wants to hurt her. Just keep her away.

Cichlids will drive you nuts.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
one of my rainbow cichlid pair does this all the time. The daddy drives mom away and raises the kids on his own until he either gets bored or the cories and the tetras manage to pick them all off. Then he starts courting again and she takes him back . . .

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That's really strange, I would hope this pair gets back together. It reminds me of my first convict pair where the male decided he hated the female and killed her and raised the fry on his own.

Either way, I hope things work out man :?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Woke up this morning with her guarding and him in exile. Go figure LOL.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hahahaha - domestic dispute!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
In one case, my rainbow pair got a divorce and split the babies. Dad had most up in the front, but mom had some in the back. Mom's custody didn't last long. Again, they made up and made more babies later. Interestingly, two of their offspring have now set up house in another tank. They have it down correctly. Both are working together to guard the fry and doing a da&^ fine job of it, too, especially for young 'uns . . .

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well now they are back together again :)

...Bill

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at the hump he grew overnight :eek:

....Bill

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Holy cow :eek:

Has he had a hump like that before? That's BEASTLY

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He has had it before, but not this big.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
He must be trying to impress her again :lol:

I guess she hasn't been pleased with his hump lately :p

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
Isn't it amazing... My male has finally just kept his and looks like a battering ram... He's fifth generation here... His dad and grandfather had a nice hump too...
Care to share pictures of this? I know this isn't the photography section but why not :) all this nuchal hump talk has me wishing my male con would get his to grow (or maybe if some of the HRP fry i'm getting will have one)

Here's his at it's "biggest" - but it hasn't gotten any bigger than that (with each breeding cycle it's gotten smaller, tried a mirror, no use)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts