Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 6FT acrylic aquarium from a local club member and its kinda hazy. Im used to glass aquariums but for my big one I wanted an acrylic one because I live in a condo and just couldnt risk it bursting on me. You can see in the tank but it seems really hazy has anyone buffed an acrylic tank before? What products did you use? Is the haziness mostly on the inside or the outside of the tank? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome to the 6 footer club, I'm a new meber myself. I have been polishing a used 180g I picked up. I researched here on what to use and the Novus system is what most recomend. Its a polishing compound in three parts, the corse is "Novus 3" for chealthy scratches, "Novus 2" is for minor scratches and "Novus 1" is for final polishing. Since you are dealing with a haze I would try washing out the tank with a soft cloth soaked in white vinagar diluted 50/50 with water. If that doesn't cut it, I would say perform all three steps because you may not be able to see scratches yet.
My experiance is hand buffing a 6' tank is VERY laborous. I used a orbital polisher I bought at Wal-mart with the cotton terrycloth pad for 3 and 2, will be using the soft, fluffy, fleece pad for the last step. Also don't waste it, as a little goes a long way, don't think more compound is better. When it starts to dry, sprinkle some water on the tank and your pad and you can keep working it. Time and patience is the only way to go in this process

1 - 4 of 4 Posts