Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, before I had a Fluval 405 and an Marineland Magnum 305 canister on my tank. The Magnum lost most of its flow. After pricing new canisters and replacement parts for the Mag I just decided this was my excuse to get my Ehiem. So retired the Magnum, and was going fine with Eheim and Fluval until I went to adjust the Fluvals output and noticed this has less than half the flow it had.

Took it all apart and cleaned everything in hoses and impeller well etc.... seemed better for about 5 minutes then right back to not much. I have noticed all this starting right after I switched to sand as a substrate and this filters impeller seems in decent shape but am thinking this probably the most likely culprit. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know I have bad luck, but come on. :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see some sand in the canister when do my cleaning but it is very little and is always usually in bottom of the canisters. I did hear a slight clicking noise when I first turned it on leading me to believe that maybe the impeller is wore out even though it doesnt show much sign of wear. Found a new one online for $12 so I ordered it and it said it was shipped today. Hoping this is the issue. I did get the filter used for only $40 and they said it was only running for about 6 months prior, but hate to stereotype, but they didnt seem like the kind of people who would be real maticulous about filter maintenance. Everything else looks brand new on it and I removed the little check valve ball in the strainer thinking that may be the issue with no luck. After doing that I realized it will make it alot harder to prime especially with the little primer du-hickey.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have been dealing with Fluval via email in trying to resolve the issue and after trying all their troubleshooting procedures they have asked for my mailing address to send me a new impeller free of charge. :thumb: Hope this solves my issues as when the thing flows it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How long did your fluval 405 run?

I've had flow reduce with each of my canisters (305, 404, FX5) and after removing the clogged media (nasty filter pads) flow returns to normal.

You can also have blockage IN the tubes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glaneon said:
How long did your fluval 405 run?

I've had flow reduce with each of my canisters (305, 404, FX5) and after removing the clogged media (nasty filter pads) flow returns to normal.

You can also have blockage IN the tubes.
It was only running for about 2 months. I did check all media, clean the sponges, rinsed trays, cleaned out impeller housing, and then even replaced the hoses since I couldnt see if there was something stuck in there. Ran it without any filter media too to see if that was restricting it with no luck. Impeller doesnt look bad but am hoping that is all that is wrong with it!!! :x

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wierd. I've had my 305 about 16 months, no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far they have been trying to help which is nice to have a company at least try and help resolve some issues. Been about a week with 2 responses which could have meant alot of water changes if I didn't have a second filter running. When it did work right the thing was really flowing. Just seems weird that it was one right after another with the same problems. The magnum 350 now this one and not all that long after I switched to sand. Did have a lot of sand suspended in water at first so wonder if that is what had caused all this?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think it could. I had a hair get wound around an impellar (not a canister) causing it not to spin.

On another filter I have (again, not a canister) there was also like 1 or 2 grains of sand between the impellar and the motor housing - and it wouldn't turn AT ALL.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my new impeller today and Im back in business!!! Now I will be able to sleep tonight. :zz:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts