Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 200L tank setup for over 4 years now and due to losing a few of the original fish, have decided to change what I stock. I originally had mbuna only (saulosi and labeotropheus trewavasae) but decided to change to an all male setup after losing most of my females.

I have picked up quite a few males, from a couple of local stockists, over the past few weeks in order to give a good mix of males. Most were doing fine, but a couple were being bullied and spending all day hiding in corners. So, I decided to quickly set up my second tank, which has been empty for 2 years.

To do this, I emptied all of the media from my Eheim internal filter and swapped it with the (same type/size) media from my in use canister. To explain, I have two Eheim canisters on my tank, which are both capable of servicing a tank of 300L at least. Yes, I took the advice to 'over filter' where possible! That internal filter is now in my 125L 'spare' tank.

I also took a couple of handfuls of media from my second in use Eheim canister filter, and put it into an old plastic breeding container. I then replaced it in the canister with new stuff, whilst the container and media are now in the new tank.

So to the question: I have no worries that the two canisters will continue to function perfectly, as I have only stolen a small portion of their media. However, will a 'new' internal filter, filled with seeded media, plus the extra stuff placed within the tank, be sufficient to keep nitrates etc low in my newly setup tank?

I obviously used Prime to condition the water prior to adding my filter, in case anyone was wondering.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. However, I still get the feeling the advice may be to change 20% of the water every day for the next month anyway !!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Test the water and see if you get ammonia and nitrite. If yes...then you will have to change whatever percent of water daily to keep ammonia and nitrite stay less than 1%.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I was going to test it after a day or two. Just need to remember where I put my test kit....

·
Registered
449 Posts
cumbrianewbie said:
Yep, I was going to test it after a day or two. Just need to remember where I put my test kit....
When was the last time you used the test kit? If you can't remember where you put your test kit, there is a good possibility that the chemicals have aged to the point that they should be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.