Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok that’s great thank you. I’m not sure if this will help things but I have taken a handful of matrix bio media from the seeded 307 and swapped it for a handful of bio home from the FX6. Just thought it might help seed it quicker. Just an idea.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
0 ammonia again today.
I’ve also added another FX6, which I know 2 FX6s is overkill but I cannot have this happen again. At least now if I go away and one fails the other is big enough to run the tank by itself.

So should I proceed feeding but with caution? Normally I fed twice daily…should I fed once daily or once every other day or just go back to normal just ease off a little.

thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
1X daily with one fasting day/week is plenty. Don't feed double the amount just because you are feeding 1/2 as often. What they can eat in 30 seconds. OK to feed now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok I’ll do that from now on. Thank you for all your help and support. Not sure my missus gets it or maybe non fish keepers but it’s really stressful when things go wrong.
Thanks again I appreciate it

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Last quick question…..should I do my water change as normal this week? I normally do a 50% water change weekly. Just thinking as the tank has just caught up again should I try to prolong the water change? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
Water changes do not harm the beneficial bacteria. If nitrate has been accumulating as it should when the "bacteria" are healthy, there is no reason to skip or delay the water change. You might skip vacuuming the substrate or scraping the glass or cleaning the decor however.

Reactions: Deeda
41 - 50 of 50 Posts