Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rest assured that your filter is fine. Kwik is totally right about that. It is actually harder than people think to destroy a colony of denitrifying bacteria which is adequately encased in biofloc. (If you mechanically move the biofloc, or separate it from the media, it is almost rendered totally uncycled in seconds.) I routinely rinse media with the hose on a municipal water system and have had no problems. My water is chlorinated to 1ppm in the system, and usually measures .5ppm when I check.

Indeed - municipal water systems have discovered that chlorine is ineffective against bioflocs, and so chloramines are used in many water systems these days. This is a form of chlorine bound up with nitrogen. The point of this is to release the chlorine gas slowly and more consistently. Chlorine gas is extremely deadly to all living things and nature has absolutely no way of dealing with it. Because of this fact, your biological filtration won't eventually deal with chlorine gas. It will eventually "deal" with chloramine, in that the chloramine will break down into chlorine gas (As intended) and ammonia. The biofiltration will deal with the ammonia. The good thing about chlorine gas is that it dissipates relatively quickly, especially in water with good aeration.

Bottom line, chlorinated tap water won't hurt your filter from rinsing. Squeezing it under any water will destroy it instantly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I squeeze my sponges from filters with every cleaning...have not had a problem so far (since 2005). Strum is right, the "bacteria" once well established are pretty hardy.
Indeed - I would not expect you would have a problem. You use the sponges in your tanks as mechanical filtration and primary biological filtration comes from other media. (Me remembering from previous discussions we've had - please correct me if I'm wrong:)). I use sponges in my system as primary biological filtration. The squeezing of sponges would have much different impacts on our systems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts