Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing my weekly normal
Water change and opened up one of my canister filters, cleaned it all as normal in tank water and put everything back in, stupidly filled it back up with normal tap water that I thought I had added prime to but had not!!!!

Realising my mistake I added a dose of prime to the filter as it was just all sitting there and could not fire it back up until I had filled my tank back up.
I run an FX6 on this tank too which is my main filter so the 307 really is just for extra filtration but still holds about 1 kilo of matrix bio in it. When I was able to I started the filter up and then re opened it and dropped a load of live bacteria direct into the filter.

My question is have I killed the bacteria by adding the tap water or the measures that I have taken meant I’ve saved it?
Also I assume I’ll have no issues as my FX6 is more than man enough to run the tank alone as my tank is 500 litres and 5 foot.

both filters have been set up for a while and are mature.
Am I panicking unnecessarily.

thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have removed 3 fish from my tank and collecting 6 next week to add to my currently slightly understocked tank…you think this should still be ok? I can add more love bacteria direct into the filter when I add them just to help again. The FX6 is packed with about 2 kilos of bio home ultimate and then about 1 kilo of matrix.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could add in a very mature internal fluval U4 just incase which is good up to 250 litres when I add the new fish next week. Or……do u think I will be ok as I added the live bacteria and the FX6 is mature and good to run the tank by itself. I’m assuming by next week the bacteria would have colonised back in if I had list any, between the FX6 and the live bacteria I added surely I’d be ok. Panicking as I have paid for fish and collecting them on way back from a holiday. I leave tomorrow 🙈

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
Live bacteria from a bottle or from another established tank? Sounds like you have no choice, so proceed but test daily to monitor for ammonia spikes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s live bacteria in little jelly balls from a company called evolution aqua….so live live bacteria. It’s not entirely true about the fish…so I removed 5 in total one that was injured, one that’s in the naughty tank and then I sold the other 3. All before today’s water change. I am then collecting 4 new fish and adding the injured but now recovered and naughty one back in together which will be Wednesday next week in the evening. So 4 out and 6 in.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you think to be safe I can add a mature U4 internal when I add the fish. Depends what u thinks best….your advice on here has always been good. I cannot monitor any ammonia spikes as I am away from tomorrow morning for the 3 days. I have someone coming in to feed my tanks but I would not ask her to test as she just does not do fish at all.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
You are not adding the fish until you get back. That is when you need to test daily. I would not waste my time/money on commercial bacteria. If you get ammonia after you add the fish then use the internal filter.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
As Deeda said, you are probably OK. But nothing more you can do now. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wait… you only rinsed one of the canisters? And it had tap water in it for a short amount of time? You are fine. Rinsing flushed a lot of the good stuff out, but the chlorine/chloramine in tap water isn’t as dangerous to nitrifying bacteria as it is to fish gills. In fact, have you ever wondered why continuous drip water change systems can be unfiltered tap water? It’s because the nitrifying bacteria will actually break down chlorine over time. It’s just a fast enough process to save the fish when all that “fresh” water comes all at once during a water change.
And if I’m completely wrong and you have killed all the bacteria, you have a second filter to do the job.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
The ideal drip system will use well water (no chlorine) or have filtration to remove chlorine before the drip goes into the tank. Although I can see if the drip is slow enough the "bacteria" might be able to process it fast enough.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So yes I have the second filter and this is FX6 the largest of the two and holding most of the bio media. I’m away right now and the person feeding them said they are ok and feeding….not that it’s the best indicator.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So this leads onto the fact that I use a python for water changes, I drop in prime and treat the whole tank which I do just after water from my tap comes into the tank. This is how the instructions say to do it and many vids. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Treating the whole tank is correct way to treat the tank when refilling with tap water, I drop mine in before I start the refill.

id be surprised if the tap water killed ALL of your beneficial bacteria, chlorine/chloramine levels aren’t THAT high (in most places).

personally I wouldn’t have your friend feed every day and have them feed lightly (are you gone for multiple weeks)? Do the water test when you return.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m only away until tomorrow so 2 days. I could have stopped feeding altogether. I measured out all the food and left it in pots. I put less in than normal so it’s controlled.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rest assured that your filter is fine. Kwik is totally right about that. It is actually harder than people think to destroy a colony of denitrifying bacteria which is adequately encased in biofloc. (If you mechanically move the biofloc, or separate it from the media, it is almost rendered totally uncycled in seconds.) I routinely rinse media with the hose on a municipal water system and have had no problems. My water is chlorinated to 1ppm in the system, and usually measures .5ppm when I check.

Indeed - municipal water systems have discovered that chlorine is ineffective against bioflocs, and so chloramines are used in many water systems these days. This is a form of chlorine bound up with nitrogen. The point of this is to release the chlorine gas slowly and more consistently. Chlorine gas is extremely deadly to all living things and nature has absolutely no way of dealing with it. Because of this fact, your biological filtration won't eventually deal with chlorine gas. It will eventually "deal" with chloramine, in that the chloramine will break down into chlorine gas (As intended) and ammonia. The biofiltration will deal with the ammonia. The good thing about chlorine gas is that it dissipates relatively quickly, especially in water with good aeration.

Bottom line, chlorinated tap water won't hurt your filter from rinsing. Squeezing it under any water will destroy it instantly.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
I squeeze my sponges from filters with every cleaning...have not had a problem so far (since 2005). Strum is right, the "bacteria" once well established are pretty hardy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts