Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - Last night I was gazing at my fish as i often do and i became captivated by my Brevis females behaviour. Her resp rate seemed much higher than anyone elses and her colours were heightened, she did some odd manoveres in the opening of her shell and this gave me a head on view of her underbelly - her vent seemed wide open but nothing was coming out? She then started going into the shell and shaking herself violently in different positions but always with her vent pointing in to the narrower part of the shell (escargot) at one point she was standing on her head with her back twisted as if to ensure that her vent faced the very inner of the shell.

One of cauds became interested at the start of all this and she saw him off however as the behaviour continued she drew the attention of the male Brevis who began patrolling around the shell, shooing her inside and doing some little excitable shimmys of his own outside the shell. It was getting late so i reluctantly dimmed the lights and eventually went to bed.

Today she is in the shell *** seen her resting at the opening with her head just slightly out and also *** seen her shimmying deep inside the shell - her colours remain quite heightened. All tanks mate are going about their usual business.

I was enthralled last night and keep wondering if i have actually witnessed the whole thing - her laying the eggs, the fertilisation etc?? Have i been so lucky? It seemed amazing to watch!

I did a small water change a few days ago and have recently introduced some frozen brine shrimp with spirulina into the diet - could this have been the magic catalyst? God im excited - im such a geek :lol: What do i do now???

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I believe you've actually witnessed the event, yes, congrats. But, I wouldn't connect the food, brevis are very easy spawners and don't need a trigger.

As far as what to do now, depends on how many, if any, fry you want to keep or raise. Personally, I'd let them be after a first spawn and not try to pull the shell. If you want to save and raise any, try to siphon some out when you first see them emerge from the shell. For maximum fry survival, they need their own tank, as they don't protect young, or are just really bad at it.

Once they get going, you'll get many every few weeks, so don't worry or be anxious about the first batch.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Prov - i feel lucky and priviledged to have seen it! :D

My overall plan has been to raise some fry for my local dealer who has offered me store credit in return for some sunspot brevis - he only has standard ones currently. I have a smaller tank i would set up for the fry which has worked well for me in the past. I am interested in this idea of leaving the first brood - tank mates are cauds and one blue goby - will they eat them? If i leave them should i offer any fry food - is it inevitable they will all die?

Now i have never raised tang fry - but in previous experience with livebearers and mouthbrooders i have at the appropriate time separated the brood from the female using a fry trap and housed the fry alone feeding them appropriate liquid foods or crumbled flake.

I am new to Brevis - should the fry stay with one or both parents or be alone? How soon should i remove them? Do i have to pull the shell or could i use my new turkey baster to collect the fry for transfer? Would i pull the shell with eggs or wait for free swimming fry? Also I know where i can get hatchable brine shrimp - but i have no experience with timing, hatching etc and could do with some guidance on this also - none of my books offers enough information on breeding. Im very grateful xxx :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
will they eat them? If i leave them should i offer any fry food - is it inevitable they will all die?
Yes, unlikely any will survive in there. You might eventually find one lucky survivor if the rockwork, etc provides enough hiding, but I think it unlikely.

Now i have never raised tang fry - but in previous experience with livebearers and mouthbrooders i have at the appropriate time separated the brood from the female using a fry trap and housed the fry alone feeding them appropriate liquid foods or crumbled flake.
You can do the same with these guys.

should the fry stay with one or both parents or be alone?
You mean be kept with? They can stay with both, as they'll pretty much be ignored once free swimming. They'll do fine alone too IME.

How soon should i remove them?
You'll have to pull them young to get enough to grow out. I'd say otherwise they'll be gone within a week or so.

Do i have to pull the shell or could i use my new turkey baster to collect the fry for transfer?
I've never had luck with turkey basters. As soon as I pull it out of the water, everything goes back in the tank. Maybe it's me. :( Pulling the shell after free swimming will get the adults, but posssibly only a few fry if they've left the shell. They really don't hang long in the shell once free swimming. I use an airline to siphon, but you may need something a bit bigger as they can be hard to catch. Fry tend to just hit the deck, so go slow and watch for that. Be patient, get some, and then go back for more later. You don't want to scatter them all over the tank.

Would i pull the shell with eggs or wait for free swimming fry?
Pulling the shell before free swimming would be the strategy for maximum fry survival, but you'd have to pull adults too (as they'll probably dart into the shell) and it may be disruptive to them. Brevis seem to be very shy in a new tank, and you'd probably not see them much after the move. Not a problem, just is.

Also I know where i can get hatchable brine shrimp - but i have no experience with timing, hatching etc and could do with some guidance on this also - none of my books offers enough information on breeding.
I use crushed NLS. Easier and it works. I use a cheap coffee grinder.

Im very grateful
You're welcome. Let us know how they do for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.