Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my Eheim 2217 keeps my water clear and can pick up food particles just fine but I noticed when feces floats buy the intake it doesnt always suck it in.

I dont want to buy a HOB I tried buying 2 new ACs they were noisy and my old AC110 is noisy too. So Im thinking of buying a FX5. My question though is this: I know the GPH is more than my Eheim 2217 but does the larger FX5 motor help with adding more suction at the intake too or is the bigger motor just used to push the water back out of the huge filter housing??

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It'll help at the intake also, but I think what you may need instead is some type of internal water pump to provide enough current to help keep solids in the water column. If you can accomplish that, then eventually they'll pass by the intake close enough to get drawn in. At least that's the idea.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*** tried to angle my powerheads down but it blows the sand towards the side of the tank. Any ideas? Im thinking of making a intake like the guy did on the FX MOD page. I already have the pvc piping just need to get my lazy but up to do it. LOL

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I like the hydor koralia's for that reason, they don't blow a jet stream. Otherwise, just do as you're thinking and divert the outflow somehow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
60g - I had the FX5 and AC110. Yes the FX5 "sucks" the particle in like the AC110. I also have the 2217 it's much weaker. Amount of particle is directly related to the GPH of the filter. Even if you have a koralia it helps prevent accumulation but you'll see more poop floating around.

Having said that, I sold me FX5 because it's so heavy and difficult to clean. My tanks are in the basement so I don't mind the noise from the AC110s.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that's what I wanted to know. I moved my powerheads around last night and had them angled perfectly. They were able to get the poop out of the back and corner but then it just floated around the tank. :x

So im going to buy the FX5 and try it out. I wish I could use my AC110 but it just makes too much noise for my liking.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts