Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
This is my first post so go easy on me LOL.
I recently ordered a 308 gallon glass tank that measures 30" deep 84"long and 30" tall. Any way it should arrive mid April and I've been doing my homework selecting the Mbuna I want to stock. This tank will have a 70 gallon functioning capacity sump, Tank turn over of 7-8 times per hour, Sand substrate, and of course lots of Rock. My tap water Ph runs 7.8-8.0. Can't really recall the kh, but it pleanty my high. Below is my stock list. I know I have a couple species of cynotilapia and Metriclima but with the size of the tank and ratios I plan to stock do you think it will fly? Or should I say swim :D . Also I dont want to overcrowd my tank, so let me know if I'm try to fit too much in.

1. Metriclima zebra Chilumba Luwino reef 1:4 ratio
2. Metriclima Mbenji Mcat 1:4 ratio
3 Cynotilapia Aurifrons Luwino Reef 1:4 ratio
4. Cynotilapia sp. Lion Lipingu ratio 1:4 ratio / or Cynotilapia sp. Lion Mara rocks ratio 1:4
5. Pseudotrophus interruptus Chizumulu ratio 1:6
6. Labidochromis perlmutt ratio 1:4
7. Synodontis multipunctatus cats total of 5, fry control, not planning on raising or sell any fry at this point.

My question is: is this going to be a blood bath, or am I overlooking a significant concern? Open to suggestions but the Met zebra Chilumba and Cynotilapia Aurifrons are the ones I don't want to give up. But if some has a better plan I'm all Ears.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
I would swap out one of the metriaclima and one of the cynotilapia. You could probably do more fish...maybe increase the size of the groups?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I increase group size what would be your suggestion? Increase males and females or just females? And if I swap out a met and Cynotilapia do you have something in mind? BTW Thank for the reply much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A 1:4 ratio could imply 5 fish, 10 fish, 15 fish, etc. That is what a ratio is - it is a comparison, not a definite number.

So when you say 1:4 do you mean 2M and 8F or do you literally mean 5 fish? If we knew that, we could talk about numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me clarify, ratio was not the proper term to describe what I was attempting to convey. 1 male, 4 female to equal a Total 5 fish per Grouping. Except for the pseudotrophus interruptus, in that group there would be 7 fish, 1 male and 6 females. Total of 32 Mbuna, and 5 multipunctatus cats = 37 fish total.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well this sounds like my dream mbuna tank to have some day, hopefully you keep us updated on the tanks progress! I've never kept these before and cannot speak to if they would work with the rest of the stock list, so hopefully someone who has experience with them will, but I've always liked the looks of the labeotropheus fulleborni marmalade cat and willimsi Makonde blue lips.

They've been on my "dream bigger tank shortlist" anyway, so just some to consider.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
With the Metriaclima you may find one male/species works best...although it is a big tank and you never know what might work. I would try for more than one male/species with the Cynotilapia...maybe 3m:9f for that group.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts