Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Body is silver with a light tint of gold, black vertical stripes, yellow fins and eyes that resemble that of a yellow lab. Has anyone seen a specimen or hybrid that resembled this one before? I have no idea what he is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I did not find them all that peaceful, but compared to Victorians, more than most. Mine were/are with haps and peacocks and work with some better than others. The latifasciata would be peaceful by comparison to many of the mbuna.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DJRansome said:
The latifasciata would be peaceful by comparison to many of the mbuna.
. Yes, I was comparing them with Mbunas. They're my most peaceful fish (for now).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. She was sold to me as an mbuna but I see now that she's from Lake Victoria. I appreciate the responses. She's doing well establishing herself with the mbunas but my males have begun to kill each other. It seems I've made a rookie mistake.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
BC in SK said:
Idech said:
and lake Kyoga is a satellite lake
Not what you had originally posted in response to my post .......but what the heck does "satelilte lake " mean any ways??
My point being that many, if not most, of what are referred to as lake "Victorian cichlids" do not actually come from lake Victoria.
Cichlid -forum has cichlids listed under this heading in their profiles that come from south of lake Malawi all the way into Asia (Middle East- Israel, Syria, Jordan ). Similar and closely related to the many Haplochromine cichlids found in lake Victoria but either absolutely nothing to do with lake Victoria, or really not that much to do with lake Victoria. By the way, Astatotilapia latifasciata is also found in the swamp lake Newampasa and much farther east in lake Bisan.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplochromis_latifasciatus So it is found in at least 3 lakes, but not lake Victoria , itself

·
Registered
207 Posts
BC in SK said:
BC in SK said:
Idech said:
and lake Kyoga is a satellite lake
Not what you had originally posted in response to my post .......but what the heck does "satelilte lake " mean any ways??
My point being that many, if not most, of what are referred to as lake "Victorian cichlids" do not actually come from lake Victoria.
Cichlid -forum has cichlids listed under this heading in their profiles that come from south of lake Malawi all the way into Asia (Middle East- Israel, Syria, Jordan ). Similar and closely related to the many Haplochromine cichlids found in lake Victoria but either absolutely nothing to do with lake Victoria, or really not that much to do with lake Victoria. By the way, Astatotilapia latifasciata is also found in the swamp lake Newampasa and much farther east in lake Bisan.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplochromis_latifasciatus So it is found in at least 3 lakes, but not lake Victoria , itself
I know, I was trying to find where I had seen A.L. were from lake Victoria but couldn't find anything. Then I saw this and changed my answer.

Still, thank you for bringing this up. It seems like satellite lakes are smaller lakes touching a main lake. Here you can understand a little better but it's not 100% clear. http://aquaticcommons.org/20640/

I'm not trying to be right, I'm new at cichlids and learning.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Adding my two cents on the aggression level of Astatotilapia Latifasciatus - Not Peaceful. They have a different kind of aggression from Mbuna. Mbuna are kind of rough and tumble, but I find these guys are darty and nippy. They don't seem to take crowding quite as well as mbuna. When they were in crowded quarantine situation, we noticed they would lash out an bite in a way the Mbuna did not. We saw clear bite marks on other fish a couple of times. No significant aggression or chasing, cornering and killing, but they can certainly hold their own so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yup not an Mbuna. Convict maybe? Very similar... Kenyi (possiblity probs not Mbuna though) Frontosa uh... Not Oblequidens my bet Astotilapia latifasciata most likely, I would bet Astotilapia. Most likely: Astotilapia latifasciata.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Agree Astatotilapia latifasciata. Marketing name obliquidens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.