Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anybody has ever done this and how it worked for them?
I'm in the process of setting up a 30 gal. and 55 gal. tank. The 30 is first. I have an underwater gravel filter with bonded filter material covering it and then Aragonite gravel. MY ph is excellent so far, holding at 8. The underwater gravel filter seems to be working fine, no or little restriction from the bonded filter media on top of it. My thinking for doing that is it might keep the gunk from building up under the underwater gravel filter and when I clean it I can just replace part of the bonded media. The tank at present is in the process of cycling and seems to be going as it should. No fish yet. I want to wait until it fully cycles.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I have avoided UGF since I had one in the 90s. Your arrangement seems complex with no particular advantage. What are you trying to achieve?

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
+1 to DJRansome
-
The last time I had a UGF, it was set up 'reverse action' (pressurized) with discharge water from a canister filter. The idea was to eliminate the funk buildup under the gravel plates by having the water push up through the gravel.
And, it did work a little better set up like that. But, the buildup seemed to be just as bad down under the corner sections away from the discharge water.
Now I just use Pool Filtration Sand. Much cleaner and easier. The waste products just settle on top of the sand where they can be easily siphoned out for later cleanup. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
I have avoided UGF since I had one in the 90s. Your arrangement seems complex with no particular advantage. What are you trying to achieve?
My thinking is the bonded filter material will gather the gunk and keep it from building under the plastic UWG filter plates. The bonded filter material , so far, hasn't cut down the air flow. When the air flow starts to decrease I'll replace half the bonded material so I don't lose all my good bacteria. I have always used UWG filters with good success, over 40 yrs. now. I'm setting up Cichlid tanks and I want the water as pure as I can get it. I have the UWG, a HOB and a sponge filter in each tank.
Things have changed since my first tanks back in the late 1960s. We would set up a tank, add some dechlorinator to the water, dump in the fish and maybe change the water once in awhile and the fish lived on and on, at least until the time my 8 yr. old son caught a native brook trout and put it in the one tank. I did have a cloudy water problem for a while in one tank and found out it was the Great Dane drinking from the lower tank. Things were much simpler back then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ahh, the poor misunderstood and underappreciated Under Gravel filter.

Have a read here as your time permits.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/8 ... l-filters/

I used them for years but then went off trying the fancier cannisters, HOBs etc. as I aged and had more disposable income. I suspect many of us did. The "gunk" that collects in several different types of filters is not to be tossed aside so rapidly. Read the cannister section and sump filtrations sections too and you'll likely come around to appreciating what it really is and how beneficial it can be. As most anyone who reads my posts knows I'm a fan of the fluidized bed sump for any tank of size. Anything under 75 gallons can do well with UGF IMHO. I'm not suggesting there are not other ways to maintain an aquatic environment, just that the UGF can still do a fine job on a small tank with small fish.

I miss the old days.

Regards to you all,
Stu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts