Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I recently was given a 55 gallon tank, stand, etc. from someone i know, problem is, I'm pretty sure this tank hasn't been used in about 5 years. Because of that there are hard water stains like you wouldn't believe...

I've just put down some towels on one side of the glass soaked in vinegar and plan to leave them there for another 3-4 hours. Am I doing this right? Or is there something else I should be trying? I've tried elbow grease with water and pot scrubbers already.

Ps, really funny and kinda scary, the tag at the bottom of the tank says "All glass aquarium - April 23rd, 1983"... But all the seals seem good haha, going to fill it tomorrow to test.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The vinegar will help break down the deposits. I found out that the longer you soak, the easier it is to get off. I had alot on my glass tops, and soakin them a few hours made them look brand new. Just rinse with clean water as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Vinegar is a good thing to soften and loosen some of the hard water marks. The marks are often calcium which is alkaline so an acid like vinegar reacts with them and makes them soft. The vinegar is a weak acid, so it is not real hazardous even if some doesn't get washed out. You may find that you can save some time by using a razor blade scraper like painters use to get paint off glass. Keep the blade flat on the glass and you won't scratch it.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I've been using CLR for a few years now. Same method, soaked paper towels laid on the problem area for a few hours, you do have to rinse well, as in, tank on it's side so anything in it gets rinsed out. Far stronger than vinegar.

·
Registered
625 Posts
GTZ, I have been tempted to try CLR, it works that well? I got a 55 off craigslist that's stained pretty good, maybe here in the next few days I'll try it out. Do you dilute it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've used a razor blade with pretty good success. It doesn't realy take that long. You have to be carefull near the seals though also so you don't have an unplanned dr visit. I wouldn't do it on acrylic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to grab some CLR tonight, will let you all know how it goes tomorrow

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes the CLR is a great choice. Someone recommended it to me after I used the vinegar, but rinse as much as possible. It works great when I clean the bathtub. LOL

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i just got some, scrubbed it in using a pot scrubber (not metal so it was glass safe) and then poured a little on the inside and left some paper towels down on top of it. We'll see how it looks in 5 hours :popcorn:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I find some of those dang stains just keep coming back, no matter what you do. I really hope this gets the tank looking good as new :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far so good, going to get a better look at the results tomorrow after i get home from work and then do the other side of the tank... just wire brushed and rust-oleum-ed the rusted stand that came with (no structural damage, just outer rust), looks much better than before for sure... but here's the tank before I did any rinsing / vinegar / CLR treatment...

I'll take an "after" pic tomorrow

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I put a second coat of rustolium on the stand, and the tank is holding water (filled it in the garage - there is condensation on the tank that isn't hard water stains).... Here is the "after" pic ppl wanted, and imagine that stand COVERED in rust...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Talk about a 180! Very nice job, will be doing this for a 55 gallon soon. Congrats and enjoy your new tank!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JoelRHale said:
Talk about a 180! Very nice job, will be doing this for a 55 gallon soon. Congrats and enjoy your new tank!
Thanks! It was free too! Just took some elbow grease, a can of rustolium, some CLR (did a THOROUGH rinse afterwards), and some disposable latex gloves... All totaled, I spent about $12 on this tank and stand :dancing:

Not to mention that it came with... an AQ70 (haven't tested but it looks to be in working order), full hood, light (doesn't work but I have a 48" light anyways), and a few cans of "tetra" food from 1993 :lol:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well after painting the back black yesterday I set it up today, here are the end results :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I've had that wood since I had the 37 originally last summer. Just been waiting to have a tank to use them all in :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts