Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had hard water stains on my 55 gallon tank when I got it, I cleaned them up and for the first week everything was fine. Yesterday while performing a water change, I got a rim of hard water around the front of the tank (and for some reason only the front). Right now I do have fish in the tank and a razor blade or a sponge with a scraper is not working. Is it same to use a small amount of diluted vinegar when I do my next water change to maybe remove the stain?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Vinegar is a weak acid and as such has some hazard if it gets into the tank water. The tank PH could drop pretty radically if much of the vinegar water got mixed in. I normally find the razor blade will get hard water marks off the glass. They are made up of mostly calcium here limestone in this area and it should just be laying on the surface. The razor blade and soaking helped get most of it off from your last posting? With fish in , it gets a litttle more tricky. It is hard to let it stand and soak without getting lots of it in the tank water. I'm not sure I would but best shot might be to drain just enough water to work that area and then get as little as possible in the tank water. After doing the cleaning, then do a large water change to remove and dilute as much of the vinegar as you can. I'm guessing you have lots of hardness to buffer the PH so it might fly without dropping the PH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.