Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the experts suggest for a first tank? The tank is 120cm by 60cm by 60cm with a 180 litre sump (usable capacity). The Haps and Peacocks look amazing but are they more difficult to keep and how many and of what M/F ratios? Could I keep an all male Hap/Peacock tank?

I have a 3500 litre return pump and a MP40 wavemaker to provide flow and filtration turnover, I can easily fit 30-40kg of media in the sump but how much will I need to do it properly? Also are there any algae I could put in the sump, with a light, to help control nitrate or is that a marine only trick?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
That is a marine trick but you could do plants in the sump. I would not do that in lieu of water changes though.

If you are a beginner I would not do all male. Haps and peacocks are just as easy as mbuna IME if you do mixed gender. Generally 1m:4f works but it can vary by species...more aggressive fish may do better with more females.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.