Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on setting up my 120G 48x24x24 tank with Haps and Peacocks. I have been doing a bit of reading and determined that I will over crowd the tank to control aggression. I currently use three different filter methods:
sump
underwater gravel with power heads
Rena XP4

Approximately how many fish can I support in this environment. I plan on doing a 20% water change every two weeks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Filter size/quantity doesn't really matter with regards to stocking, so long as your tank water is getting recycled enough. What's going to happen is that as your bioload increases, your nitrate levels will increase. 20% every 2 weeks is not nearly enough of a water change to overstock like you're hoping. If you truly want to overstock your tank (we're talking 25-30 adults averaging 7-9"), you'll need to do 50% weekly. Anything less and your nitrate levels will be unsafe and unhealthy for your fish.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in on this, but I don't think water turnover really means anything unless you have the biomedia capacity to support the bacteria colony you'd need for x amount of fish. So if you only have 1 filter, and more bioload than the media in it can handle, you can turn the water over 1,000 times and it's not going to stop an inevitable spike. 25-30 fish @ 7-9" seems extremely excessive, even by overstocking standards, for a 4 foot long tank. If not, I think you'll be doing twice weekly 50% WC's. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sure, it's going to look crowded with that many, but for the volume, that's about his max. Maybe I wasn't clear on that - that's what I meant.

You're right about having the capacity for the media/bacteria, but ultimately, it's about water changes. Nitrate doesn't get broken down, so that's what's going to limit him.

Basically, I agree with you :thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Can you stock peacocks and haps based on capacity, or is footprint more important, as for mbuna? I'm learning as I go as well, so please don't take this the wrong way :) .

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think it's a bit of both. I've never kept haps/peacocks before, but from what I've read/learned, it seems to be more about the individual fish, less about species habits, with these guys, which makes me think footprint is slightly less important. As long as he's not planning some big predatory/notoriously mean haps in there, he's probably just as safe going by capacity as by footprint.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I agree that a higher gallons per hour turnover does not increase fish capacity. But what it DOES do is keep the debris swept out of your tank much better. 4X versus 7X is night and day.

I could not imagine 40 8" fish in a 48" tank. I just bought an 8" borleyi and he looks way too big for my 48" tank. As GoofBoy says of his all-male tank...once you see how big they are you realize they may work out better in a 72" tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
with regards with the turn over rate, they way i understand it, the faster say 5-10x/hr leans more on mechanical filtration/water polishing as to 2-5x/hr turnover rate leans more on the biofiltration.

considering if you have a sump or a canister filter this will give your good bacteria ample of exposure time to react with the pollutants in your water. more retention time=biofiltration.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
nak714 said:
I am planning on setting up my 120G 48x24x24 tank with Haps and Peacocks. I have been doing a bit of reading and determined that I will over crowd the tank to control aggression.
In my 90, I was unhappy with the look once the fish got past 7in and 10 adult Haps/Peacocks and 3 6in cats filled the tank plenty as far as I was concerned.

You have an extra 6in front to back but I really don't think that buys much for these fish.

I would say if you put 15 or so sub-adults that stay under, or at, the 7in mark and let them grow up together you will have the best chance at long term happiness. Assume a couple won't work and I think about a dozen+ or so would be about right. I definitely would put Syno cats in with them for the difference.

Or plan for the eventual upgrade and grow them out and use the 90 for species groups in a couple of years :p.

I specifically stocked peaceful fish over some I might have liked the look of a little more, but having gone the aggression route long ago - I figure for first All-Male I'd play it safe.

nak714 said:
Approximately how many fish can I support in this environment. I plan on doing a 20% water change every two weeks.
I think you mis-typed, I believe you meant to type - I plan on buying a python and not doing any actual work and doing a 50%+ water change each week.

This is a must in my experience. I have 6 tanks running and the actual work involved is nil unless I break open the canisters - just time waiting to drain/fill.

Good Luck.

DJRansome: What do you have in the all-male, I know you have been thinking about it for a while, just curious on your progress and impressions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Only three months, can't judge success yet:
Astatotilapia latifasciata Lake Kyoga 'Zebra'
Protomelas marginatus 'Turquoise', 6 juveniles
Tramitichromis Intermedius
Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
Copadichromis borleyi Kandango (not the 8" guy)
Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'
Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma 'Ivoryhead Mloto', 6 juveniles
Aulonocara Stuartgranti (Flametail Mdoka)
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara Red Ruby (not sure I like this one)
Aulonocara sp. turkis
Altolamprologus calvus Kapampa 'Ink Fin'
Synodontis lucipinnis, 5 adults

I'm going to add a group of labs. The calvus was a sub-dom male rescue from my Tang tank but he is doing surprisingly well. I would not have purchased a calvus for this tank however.

Once I can pick a male from the juvie groups I'll remove the rest. Kind of fun to watch them grow. And I checked to be sure the juvies looked different so I can separate as required.

·
Registered
49 Posts
also if i may add.... if you can remove the undergravel filter please do.

with regards with the filtration here in the Philippines we believe that to have a good filtration you need atleast 30% of the total volume of your tank. so if you have a sump it should atleast have 38gals of water/filter media.

also if you can make your tank atleast 5-6ft long much better. currently i have a 48x18x18 tank with 20+ peacocks/haps averaging from 3"-6" they dont look that crowded but you can see that some of them are pale in color and has alot of nips here and there compared to the ones you see in youtube where they have 150-180gals tank. most of their stocks have a very beautiful finage and color.

in my understanding the length is more important over the width or the height of your tank. since the longer the tank the more they can swim away from the bullies.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
DJRansome said:
Only three months, can't judge success yet:
Astatotilapia latifasciata Lake Kyoga 'Zebra'
Protomelas marginatus 'Turquoise', 6 juveniles
Tramitichromis Intermedius
Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
Copadichromis borleyi Kandango (not the 8" guy)
Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'
Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma 'Ivoryhead Mloto', 6 juveniles
Aulonocara Stuartgranti (Flametail Mdoka)
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara Red Ruby (not sure I like this one)
Aulonocara sp. turkis
Altolamprologus calvus Kapampa 'Ink Fin'
Synodontis lucipinnis, 5 adults

I'm going to add a group of labs. The calvus was a sub-dom male rescue from my Tang tank but he is doing surprisingly well. I would not have purchased a calvus for this tank however.

Once I can pick a male from the juvie groups I'll remove the rest. Kind of fun to watch them grow. And I checked to be sure the juvies looked different so I can separate as required.
Sweet.

How do you like the Turkis? I was eying up what EriK D. has in stock to flush out the 125 a bit.

I had a calvus for a while way back that did fine with everyone until a M. auratus wiped out the entire tank over a weekend I was away :roll:, so I guess I am not surprised.

I do like the whole hap/peacock grow out process way better than mbuna growth, the change is so much more dramatic.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Love, love, love the turkis. Only had him for a week though, still in quarantine. I really did not want to get into the line bred peacocks, but this one I like.

Back to OP though...I already feel my tank is overfull with 12 fish (not counting all the juvies) and they mature at 6" except for the borleyi. This is why I cannot imagine 40. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts