Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a general question that, after reading several posts, is bothering me

Fish hanging near top of tank? I never gave it much thought, but mine do that ALOT! Cichlids to (as I have other non-cichlid fish with them)

Some of the other posts represent this behaviour as a bad thing? So I was getting a little worried about my fish?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Fish tend to do that when there stressed, sick or starving for oxygen. First, have you tested your water specifically ammonia and nitrite? What were the readings if you did? Second, what size tank and what kind of filtration to do you have? Lets start with this info first and go from there.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It is either a sign of bullying, or if all the fish are doing it, VERY poor water quality, likely either a lack of Oxygen, or ammonia issue.

Are they in the corners, or all around near the top. If the corners, it is bullying. If all around, you have a water quality issue. You would need to do an immediate water change, and find a way to increase oxygenation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do weekly water changes 50% usually, and all my levels are ok....nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 45ppm? Have 2 pumps, a small and a large don't know much about them one one each side of the back....55 gallon aquarium. My fish are listed in my profile as I have more than just cichlids but they will be gone soon, I just ordered 18 more cichlids...lol....I am going with socofoli's and Yellow Labs only! YAY! So excited, oh and I recently discovered that I may be a bit of a fish freak! (new to the hobby) THanks to all for making me feel welcomed!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Differenciates...sometimes all sometimes only a few...the cichlids mostly I would say, cause I believe gourami's stay topish anyways. The barbs are rarely at the top. Also, it's not in the corners, they don't cower in the corners. All around.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
True, but this is a cichlid forum, so we're guessing you're asking about cichlids :)

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I'd do a water change to get the nitrates below 45ppm...at least 50%. And the easiest way to see if it's oxygen is to add a filter. Or if you don't have a spare, lower the water level in the tank so the existing filter return splashes like a waterfall. If the fish all leave the top and start swimming around naturally then good chance it was oxygen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
granted...but the cichlids are up there to so? I do have to admit though that my powder blue socofoli is getting reallly agressive..he is definatly top dog in the tank....which I find odd because I also have a M. Chipokea and they are suppose to be like really mean? But he's no battle for my blue? THey are small and I have not physically witnessed any showdowns but the blue definatly goes where he wants and the rest, including the chipokea, move out of his way...so maybe it is agression? They don't cave up either, I have lots of rocks and caves and the blue is the only one that even uses them...maybe he won't let the other have caves? There are plenty of them, he may be what the problem is?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd do a water change just to be safe. It sounds like aggression from the soccolofi & if you're understocked (cichlids) - that compounds the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks may do that....I am severly understocked but not for long...taking anything non-cichlid and 2 of my 4 cichlids to the pet store and trading them out....I ordered 17 more cichlids.....

2 male Yellow Labs
7 Female yellow labs

1 male socofoli
7 female socofoli

that leaves my already purchases socofoli male and the albino red zebra in the tank with the new 17...is that to many?

Should I ditch the zebra to?

Will keep you updated!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is 19 fish total if I keep the albino zera.....IF........and they are all under 2.5 inches so no adults yet.....may weed some out as they get bigger never know?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, I'd ditch the zebra too. 18 will be too many adult fish, but if they're juvies it'll be ok until they approach maturity. If they are juvies, that will give you a chance to weed out any (unexpected) soccolofi males & leave 1 . In terms of aggression, it will be better to have extra yellow lab males - than soccolofi.

I type slow :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...so only 1 male socofoli? I was thinking

Socofoli 2m/7F
and
Yellow labs 2m/7F

No to that?

I am pretty sure my current socofoli is male...have you seen him/her can you tell me...pic on my profile?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Definitely only one male socolofi in a tank...they are on the aggressive side.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awsome glad you told me! So is there anyway you can tell me if the one I have is a male...if so, I need to get 6 or 7 female to go with him. Or I need to get a male if it is female? Please let me know.....

BTW...I am almost certain it is male...but you all know more than me so I am willing to be wrong lol....and it is definatly top fish in my tank....everyone moves out of it's way!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They're monomorphic, unless you get a GREAT underside shot, you can't tell by looking.

Nice specimen though :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'd ditch the Zebra too...they could hybridize with the labs relatively easy.

Have you solved the problem with the fish? If it's one or two fish, it's probably aggression. If it's most of the fish, it's the water. Do a water change, clean your current filter (with tank water), and add a filter if necessary. The impellers get dirty and reduce flow, thus reducing filtration and oxygenation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts