Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have (9) f1 H. Atabapo coming in sometime in the next two weeks. They are at 3", any ideas on how long I will have in a six foot 125g before the fighting starts? The only spare tanks I have on hand are thirty breeders, could those be used to house paired fish? I want to let as many as possible pair up so I can have my pick.

Any other advice on growing them out or pairing them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you mean Heros sp. "Atabapo", those would be just about getting to sexable size, and will be getting sexually active very soon. I would say once they pair off, a 30 breeder is a squeeze for a pair, but could work. I have a pair in a 90, but they are much larger, mature fish. They are not at all aggressive toward other species unless they are holding or guarding fry, but I've only had the pair, so I do not know what they will do toward conspecifics.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want to thin the herd down to a pair, maybe two according to how they behave in the 125g.

I think the 30b may be a tight squeeze too, but its going to be hard to get rid of the fish when they are not finished growing out. Hopefully by the 4-5" mark I can see who is going to be grand and whos going to be bland.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This should give you an idea about how much room a pair would need when they breed. See the invisible boundary? Note that I made them spawn in a corner. If they had spawned in the middle of the tank, other fish would have suffered more.

While we are at it, here are a few older pictures:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peathenster,

Thats a six foot tank right? Two pairs in a six foot tank seems doable judging by that picture.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peathenster,

I invested in the 9 fish in order to cherry pick a pair. So at least I will have my pick from two pairs if I can't grow out the other five fish. THEN I can thin it down to one pair and throw some tetras in the tank and enjoy. :D I will be keeping these guys for awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts