Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone could tell me if the Geophagus sp. "Rio Tapajos Red Cap" could work in a 40 gal breeder for a just a breeding tank set up?? ALSO how do they compare personality wise with the Gymnogeophagus sp. blue neon valentine??? I love the looks and antics of the larger red cap, but not sure about them maybe needing a much larger set up, was told they only reach 5 maybe 6". ALSO the Gymnos blue valentines have a cooling period, would 60's work??? LOVE both these fish, but only have so much room LOL. Still researching, thanks for any and all help :) Laura

·
Registered
481 Posts
I personally would consider a 40 too small for Geos, they need more space in my humble opinion because of their habit of sifting the bottom for food. The "Blue Neons" would be a better fit, simply because they don't get as big. As far as temps, low 60's should be fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with RayQ ... Gymnos are alot more comfortable in a 40 than most of your Geo species . I have a trio of Blue Neons .... they are shy but never the less , a lovely fish !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the input. That said I did some furniture movin and am going for the 75 :)
I am having trouble finding gymnos that are the "blue neon valentine" Anyone know someone that breeds them in Oregon, I am just south of Salem. Also can't seem to find there full scientific name. Anyone know ? Just see gymnogeophgus sp. "blue noen valentine".........I could maybe order some if I knew.

Still thinking about the red caps, if you had your choice, which group is more outgoing, or personable?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
The "Blue Neon" Gymnos are Gymnogeophagus Rhabdotus, they are collected in a "creek" on a ranch near Valentines, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would definately give the gymnogeophagus a try.

A big advantage would be not having to use heaters for most of the year. I imagine Oregon gets quite cold during winter, but you would only need to use a heater dialed to the lowest setting that your gymnos require. You would not have to slowly raise the temp coming in to spring or lower the temp going in to autumn. Just have the heater set at the appropriate temp, and let the seasons do the rest for you.

If you google a web site called Tanngled Up in Cichlids, you will see Gymnogeophagus cf. rhabdotus, 2â€Â

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do really like the gymnos, BUT my problem would be the summer........we are in the high 80's -90's in summer, I do have AC, but try not to use it. We have weeks where it can hit 100, so am worried I may cook um...............guess I could float frozen water bottles.

Also hear they are more shy, I do like the out and about fish, how do they compare with the geos ? Even my apistos greet me :)

Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
OK fish nanny. I was trying to stear you towards the gymnos because a 40 breeder is way to small even for a pair of G. sp. "Tapajos" (Orange Head).

From my experiences, you do not want to keep Geos as a pair. The male will constantly harrass the female to breed, and if she is not in the mood, she will get very beat up, and there is no way she will have any where to hide or escape to in a 40 breeder.

Geos are a very active fish, and are certainly one species that should be kept in a larger tank than "conventional wisdom" (great term Number6 btw) say is acceptable.

All I am doing is thinking of the fishes well being.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree completely with DeadFishFloating above regarding the Geo's . My breeding pair is in a 55 gallon w/ 1 5" pleco and even that erks me at times for being too small for them...They really do like to travel, explore, dig everything up. I've gotten lucky with my pair & fighting but i dont tend to have issues cause i tried training the male like a dog anytime he was a bad boy lol. I'd pull him out of the tank and stick him with the convicts who'm he hates, but after 6x's he's learned to be a gentlemen haha...Also you should get into the habit of just calling them orange heads before someone slams you with "wrong terminology" like i was lol :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts