Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to anyone with experience and opinions about bringing down the temps of a Gymnogeo tank down from 75 F to 66/68 F . What are the steps about doing it ? ie, would you slowly bring down the temp over a period of 14 days or 7 days ? What you only do it to adults or are juvies recommended to the three month cooling period as well ? And how often do you feed gymnos during this cooling period ?
Thanks for all the help and advice !

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have my gymnos in an unheated room and as the room temp drops so does the tank temp. Same in the spring when it is warming up. As for feeding, I feed every other or every 3rd day during the cool down period.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Depending on the gymnos 66 to 68 F my not be any where near low enough. So what gymnos do you have?

As for lowering the temp, you could look to drop it over a period of 3 months, by one degree a week. You do not want to drop the temp over a short period of time. Try and replicate nature. As for feeding, during the "actual" winter period, look to feed only two oe three times a week.

But why would you be looking to lower the temp now? Isn't it winter now, and you're heading in to spring. It will be harder to maintain a cooler temperature during summer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a pair of El Norte ( not sure of the exact locale ) , yerbolitos , and balzanii ... as far as starting the cooler temps .... it's still very much winter here and I am a novice with gymnos so perhaps I'm wrong in starting the cooling temps so late but I figured even if it's only two months of cooling temps ... it's better than nothing .. ** shrugs

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Bamboo,

Congrats on having some very nice Gymnos! You already got some good advice, but I will just add some of my own ideas. Is 66-68º as low as you can reasonably go for a "winter period"? G. "El Norte" and G. balzanii are from the north of Uruguay, so don't need a super cold one, The Arroyo Yerbalito is Eastern Uruguay and a similar latitude. I keep G. balzanii and several pikes found in the same area and give them a 3 month cool period of 60º, but I assume in Texas that might not be possible for you. If you can only do 66-68º you'll probably have to feed them everyday since their metabolism won't be impacted at those temperatures. Even at 60º I feed them every day, except a 50% reduced amount and shift from pellet-based diet to vegi-based.

A cool period would be beneficial for juveniles and adults. If you can drop the temperature over a few weeks that would be great, but honestly it doesn't stress them much if it's only a week.

Hope that helps,
Ed

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was very surprise today when I got home from work only to see my El Norte Gymnos have spawned in the 40 gallon breeder . The eggs look good and the parents aren't overly aggressive but yet they are guarding them so . This is my first spawning fish , muchless unplanned . The temp is 68 - 70 F . Anyone have advice where I should go from here ? Thanks a million ! :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Gratz on the spawn.

Leave everything as is for now. You can remove the heater in the summer and next fall/winter let the temp fall naturely.

...Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.