Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy came in as " yerbolito " obviously it's not ... I'm wondering if he's balzanii but would balzanii have turq /blue ? What do you think he is ? He's in the middle between the plants.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
And why would you say obviously not? Quite frankly so many of the Gymnos from that region( and of that particular group/tribe/ whatever) are so extremely similar it takes quite the trained eye to tell them apart. Your likely looking at something along the lines of - G. tiraparae If I were to render a guess. I have kept and bred that species and find them to be easy to keep and quite easy breed as well. Mine spawned like rabbits . As far as a hard ID goes though , Id need a better shot of the fins to have any real certainty . Seems the best way I've personally found to ID these very similar species from Uruguay .

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would say it is a G. Labiatus also, by the striped tail, as far as collection point, it could be Arroyo Yerbalito. I believe that the biggest confusion is that there is a Gymnogenys and a Labiatus collected at Yerbalito in the hobby, so, sometimes tough to know which you are going to get, especially when the vendor leaves out the "Labiatus" or "Gymnogenys" part of the name.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RayQ , in your field collecting , did you find any hybridization ? ie. labiatus x gymnogenys ..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are the imported " blue neon " coming from ? What particular species are " el norte " , " blue neon " , and " rio yi " ?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Bamboo said:
RayQ , in your field collecting , did you find any hybridization ? ie. labiatus x gymnogenys ..
When i was collecting in Uruguay, I believe Felipe said he has found 3 cases of Crenicichla hybrids.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bamboo said:
What particular species are " el norte " , " blue neon " , and " rio yi " ?
el norte = Gymnogeophagus cf. meridionalis (undescribed but most similar to meridionalis)
blue neon = Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus

and there are three species in the Rio Yi: G. cf. meridionalis, G. gymnogenys and G. tiraparae.

Ed

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bamboo said:
I didn't see any, but, I was just awestruck by the whole collecting experience. . . I have heard that the Gumnogenys and labiatus can cross in an aquarium situation, but, I have never seen it myself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
edburress said:
Bamboo said:
What particular species are " el norte " , " blue neon " , and " rio yi " ?
el norte = Gymnogeophagus cf. meridionalis (undescribed but most similar to meridionalis)
blue neon = Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus

and there are three species in the Rio Yi: G. cf. meridionalis, G. gymnogenys and G. tiraparae.

Ed
Ed is right, the Ex. Meridionalis from Yi isn't in the hobby as far as I know, I believe that there is a fourth in there as well, a high dorsal version similar to the "Ex Meridionalis", Ed, please correct me if I am wrong, it was two years ago haha

Here are a couple shots of the sub-adult "Gymnogenys Yi" fresh from the water and a shot of the VERY flooded river while we were collecting, made it interesting to be in the water to say the least.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ray,
I am sure that the G. "High Dorsal West" and G. "High Dorsal North" are both the "real" G. meridionalis. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the Rio Yi since you can find them way up into the Rio Cuareim.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts