Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were sold as Gymnogeophagus sp. tiraparae but I am thinking they look more like G. gymnogenys quilero or possibly yerbalito. The shop from which the fish were purchased is normally accurate with the id's they list but maybe not this time. I dunno. Hopefully there is someone more familiar with the genus than I.

Thanks and good luck.

stu

·
Registered
694 Posts
Definitely G. gymnogenys. They do look kind of like the ones from Arroyo Yerbalito, which usually go by G. gymnogenys "Quilero".

Ed

·
Registered
206 Posts
Im no Gymno guru but he looks almost the exact carbon copy of my 4 inch Yerbolito male ..... They are a wonderful fish ! :drooling:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with ed. Definitely G. gymnogenys "Quilero" aka "Arroyo Yerbilito". I had both species (G. gymnogenys and G. sp. tiraparae) last year and they are pretty noticably different. Unfortunately I don't have them any more or I would send you some pictures.

Andy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Went to the LFS today not really expecting anything and lo-n-behold , there are five tanks full of gymnos .. three different species ! I was a kid in the candy store . They have small " blue neons " as well as adults . They have a revearse trio of what was labeled " yerbolito " but I'm very sure they are libiatus as they look nothing like my yerbolitos . They also had adult "Rio Yi" in which I had never heard of . I ended up getting adults of all three species . I'm pretty stoked although , I'm alittle embarrassed in my excitement when I saw tanks full of those beautiful naked earth eaters as I was in front of my girlfriend .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The Gymnos are definitely making strides in the trade these days. Just be careful . Many species and local variants are very difficult to ID 100% correct. I've been keeping SA cichlids for decades and they still throw me for a loop sometime lol. Wonderful fish none the less though. I think everyone should keep some of these species at least once.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You have to be careful, there are both Gymnogenys and Labiatus from Arroyo Yerbalito in the hobby, I believe that the Gymnogenys also goes under the name Quillero, depending where you got it from. As for the Rio Yi, it could be Gymno Tiraparae, or there is a Gymnogenys that was recently released to the hobby. I know that the Tiraparae that we caught in 09 are most likely where the line started with them inthe hobby, we also put the Gymonogenys from Yi in a farm situation at the same time.

They are all really awesome fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts