Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most of you veterans have seen plenty of these post..but here is another one. I am a newbie and I love the activity, the color, the social characteristics of Africian Chiclids. I am doing as much research as I can....because these fish cant just be thrown in with any other fish. I am the proud owner of a pittbull and prior to purchasing one...I read 4 books on them to educate myself to the breed and how to maintain a happy, healthy dog who is social with other dogs people and kids. I know there is plenty of negative opinions so I am not trying to bring up pitties in a fish forum. What I am trying to do is use the same mentality in making sure I have happy and healthy fish, who interact, and not kill or harass a other fish in the tank. So...in my research online..which is abundent with alot of opinions..I see that certain factors play a part in the happiness of your tank. I get the whole male to female ratio and am leaning more towards an all male tank(different species none looking the same in color and size) but realize that is difficult with small juvies. I would prefer Mbuna as they seem to be what I am more in favor of but a close second is an all male hap peacock tank, but I am concerned as I only have a 60 gallon. I have 90 gallon filter and the tank is cycling currently fishless.

My questions are all male tank w Mbuna since it is a 60 gallon, thinking yellow lab, mbama, red top, bumblebee, red zebra, kenyi, dasani, cobalt blues, Johanni. I like alot of these and I know I cant house them all....but i love the coloration and the personality of each.

I went to a aquatic store who specializes in Cichlids, and has their own hatchery and one of the owner suggested starting with the Red Top Hongi, Couple Yellow Labs and a couple of Cherry Red Zebras...I am really not interested in breeding fish or having hybrids...I just want a lot of color, alot of personality and most of all compatibility and activity! There is another option...that I have seen online....buying from Life Fish Direct....and they put an assortment together for you based on compatibility and color.
The gentlemen at the fish store also told me...stay away from Johannis and Austrus...because they are nasty fish to deal with and are bullies. Also...can I throw an OB peacock in and all Mbuna tank? Was wanting to get one catfish...and 2 clown loaches or is that a no no?

I do have a picture of my tank...and would like to post it...but I couldnt figure out how to link it in this post. If I could send to someones email....to critique...I would greatly appreciate it...I feel as if I have created hiding places...but I think there may not be enough true rock forms in the tank in looking at other Mbuna setups...please advise and also on a group of fish that could fit in my tank that posses great color and fun to watch. As I am new to this and seeking out the experts.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated :thumb: [/i]

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am no expert but have learned a lot in the past year. An important data point that you didn't provide is the footprint of your tank, since a lot of cichlids (especially mbuna), use the bottom of the tank, so floorspace is more important than gallons.

So what does your tank measure in inches?

And yes, it would be helpful to see how you have decorated your tank. Again I am most familiar with mbuna, who like to live in a rocky environment. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dimensions: 48-1/4"L x 12-3/4"W x 57-3/4"H

I took a video below....thanks for your help

Thanks Rocco[/img]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your tank is big enough for mbuna. A shorter tank (less than 4 ft long) would make them feel too cramped.

The mbuna like to hide in small spaces when they are startled. You could add more hiding places to your setup. In the wild they live near piles of rocks and hide among them.

You might read the 'cookie-cutter' article in the forum library for a 55 gallon tank (same footprint as yours).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why aren't your biowheels spinning? :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your lfs gave good advice as far as the auratus and johanii with the aggression. They are mean. I will also have to put the kenyi with them too. They can be really nasty. PM sent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bio Wheels not spinning....

Could be a couple of reasons...

There is so much bacteria build up they are weighed down
The Axles need to be cleaned
The intake tube may need to be cleaned.

So when I get home....I got some work to do!

I have been reading...as long as water is going over them and they are wet....its all good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts