Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we have a new tank that cycled for almost 2 months & has been set up for over a month with 9 male peacocks & haps. everyone is happy & getting along fine minus the occassional chasing. we have the dreaded diatom invasion & the sand looks like ****. we have PFS. any suggestions? i did add some plants last week & have nerite snails coming. all water parameters are fine & we have 2 canisters running (one with rings & balls & 1 with filter floss). i know that the diatoms will eventually go away (the rocks look horrible too) but i don't know what to do with the sand. i forgot to mention that i did stir the sand up a few weeks ago & ended up with an algae bloom. :?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is your sand bed thin? I like a thin bed of 3/4" at the most. Diatoms will do their thing and it may take a few months for them to go away. UV's will help but I find them a waste of money. Sounds like you know what you are doing so Good Luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
change lots of water in the next few weeks, i dont know the science behind the theory but it worked for me. also you fish certainly wont be complaining.

i think i changed 40-50% every 2-3 days for 3-4 weeks and that cleared up the diatoms/cynobacterial blooms i had eveywhere. also dont forget to syphon the gravel/sand when changing the water to remove the uneaten food and fish poo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts