Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See attached pictures. Dr. google says this might be Lymphocystis? The bumps are growing fast. Noticeable growth overnight from yesterday.

Tank has been running for 6+ months with these fish. I've had the comps for 2+ years. Parameters are stable and solid.

If there's even a chance this is a disease that will spread, I have to get the comp out. The fronts aren't worth the risk. I can get a hospital tank together in a few days but disease is disease and I don't really have the tolerance to risk the rest of my fish...

Thoughts? Thanks -

Water Vertebrate Fin Organism Fish
Bedrock Fawn Wood Bat Terrestrial animal
Water Organism Fin Fish Marine biology
Organism Fin Fish Marine biology Underwater

·
Super Moderator
6,152 Posts
Yikes!
The visible symptoms and problems you are seeing with that Altolamprologus compressiceps will be a 'good' thing if they ultimately prove out to be Lymphocystis. Of much more concern to me, are the white spots on the flanks of that A. compressiceps.
And so at this point, I'm not sure you can rule out a Columnaris outbreak in that tank. That's very bad.
-
Recommendation: Place that Cichlid in quarantine - fast! Until you can rule out something very serious, its much better to be safe with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes!
The visible symptoms and problems you are seeing with that Altolamprologus compressiceps will be a 'good' thing if they ultimately prove out to be Lymphocystis. Of much more concern to me, are the white spots on the flanks of that A. compressiceps.
And so at this point, I'm not sure you can rule out a Columnaris outbreak in that tank. That's very bad.
-
Recommendation: Place that Cichlid in quarantine - fast! Until you can rule out something very serious, its much better to be safe with this.
huh. Well, thanks for that detailed response. I'm hesitantly confident that what you're seeing is the light reflecting on his scales and the low res jpg showing it strangely. There are also pearlescent spots that reflect that you might be seeing. Here are some higher res pictures... I wish it were easier to post a video.

White Water Natural environment Fin Organism

Vertebrate Water Fin Underwater Organism

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish

·
Super Moderator
6,152 Posts
Whew....
I'm hesitantly confident that what you're seeing is the light reflecting on his scales and the low res jpg showing it strangely. There are also pearlescent spots that reflect that you might be seeing.
Agree!
So, if you then have a case of Lymphocycstis in your A. compressiceps, you are not looking at something all that bad. And unfortunately, this is a not well understood viral condition. Your affected Cichlid has, well, warts! And, while not pleasant to look at, they will not be lethal or even all that harmful to your fish. And over time, those areas will tend to fade away to nothing.
And yes, it's possible for the virus causing the warts to be contagious. And yes again, sometimes the condition will spread from fish to fish in an affected aquarium. But other times - it doesn't. I suspect overall conditions in the aquarium such as water quality, social stress (mean fish/balanced aggression) and how high in quality the food/diet being offered the fish, all play a part in how strong the immune systems are in the fish. That is, how successful those fish will ultimately be in resisting the virus that causes the warts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew....

Agree!
So, if you then have a case of Lymphocycstis in your A. compressiceps, you are not looking at something all that bad. And unfortunately, this is a not well understood viral condition. Your affected Cichlid has, well, warts! And, while not pleasant to look at, they will not be lethal or even all that harmful to your fish. And over time, those areas will tend to fade away to nothing.
And yes, it's possible for the virus causing the warts to be contagious. And yes, sometimes the condition will spread from fish to fish in an affected aquarium. But other times - it doesn't. I suspect overall conditions in the aquarium such as water quality, social stress (mean fish/balanced aggression) and how high in quality the food/diet being offered the fish, all play a part in how strong the immune systems are in the fish. That is, how resistant those fish will ultimately be in resisting the virus causing the warts.
Thanks for that. I'm confident in my water quality and aggression level management - but I did switch food away from NLS for the first time in 10 years on a recommendation. That's what I get. Will see if going back to a better brand helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts