Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that also somewhat of a suggestion. I don't recall ever seeing growth rates or about amount of time it takes for cichlids to reach their full size in the profile section of this forum. There is a spot for maximum length but not the other that I mentioned. I am curious about how long it takes or growth rates for the following cichlids below. I understand that sex, size of tank, water quality, stress (other tank mates) also affects this rate or amount time. Thank you all for your help and input.

Texas Carpinits
Jack Dempsey
Firemouth
Convict

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There are too many factors that play a part in this to make any kind of accurate statement.

With proper tank size, food and water changes you should be able to grow most fish to an adult size within 2 years. But as you mentioned already the growth also depends on where they stand in the pecking order if they are in a cichlid community. Also if there is any breeding activity it will play a factor in growth as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Reiner said:
There are too many factors that play a part in this to make any kind of accurate statement.

With proper tank size, food and water changes you should be able to grow most fish to an adult size within 2 years. But as you mentioned already the growth also depends on where they stand in the pecking order if they are in a cichlid community. Also if there is any breeding activity it will play a factor in growth as well.
With respect to the OP, can you elaborate a bit Reiner on the statement about "breeding activity"?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Reiner can elaborate or correct me if I am wrong.

Breeding Activity can inhibit growth rates. Specifically, if cichlids breed before being fully grown then their growth can be slowed as it takes energy to produce and tend to fry. Moreover, they eat less as they are focused on protecting their fry.

If it is a pair that then begins to breed like clockwork at a young age, every month or so, their growth and max size could be impaired due to the continues energy spent producing fry.

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts