Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a free 75 a few months ago, and set it up in my garage with a foam filter/powerhead, some sand, a 300W heater, and some lights. No room for it in the house! I filled it with fry, grew them for a few months, then forgot dechlorinator a few weeks ago and killed them all dead! Not the first time in my life I've done this, BTW...

Since then the temp has crept up to as high as 87, usually between there and 84. I'm in Florida, and I suspect it could top 90 later in the summer.

I know some people like to keep grow out tanks a little warmer than adult tanks, but does anyone have any experience growing fry in water this hot? I put 3 in just for a test, and they're doing fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
I would not go above mid 80's and even that is not ideal for fry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
89 F is the hotest I would keep fish at and that is only if I am treating them for parasites.

As the temperature in the water goes up the oxygen content drops and most fish will stress pretty badly at higher temperatures. They might be able to live in the hotter water, but they won't thrive in it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'll wait out the summer to fill it back up with fry. I figured it might be too hot for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts