Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an all male mbuna tank (55 g) with single males of 5 species and a large group (14) of yellow labs. Everything is good in the tank. It took a while to get the tank in balance - but all is good.

I will start removing female yellow labs - I'm not sure how many males I will end up with.

I was thinking of having a group of acei along with the group of labs. I may also be able to get red top cobalt blues - can I do a male group of cobalts? Right now I have no fish of similiar color. Will the cobalts get along with the acei?

How many should I have in each group? Can I do groups in an all male tank?

I know that there are no real answers as mbuna are unpredictable, but I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I don't think that the cobalt males get along with each other. Males will usually fight until there is only one left.

I think you could cut back on the labs to about five and add four or five 'Acei'

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Isn't it a bad idea to keep single males along with breeding groups if all are mbuna? What would prevent the single males from breeding with the lab and acei females? And harassing them to death for that matter? I've heard it done with a breeding group of labs along with single male peacocks or haps, but not mbuna.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you are referring to having a group of male red tops in a 55G, it's not something I would do.

You might get away with having more than one male Yellow lab once you remove the females, and maybe more than one male acei, but the whole objective of setting up a successful all male tank is to not have males that look alike in an effort to decrease aggression and keep things under control.

A 55G is not going to be that forgiving...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay - thanks for the replies. I may just try to add a group of acei to my existing mix, and maybe 1 male cobalt blue.

I had just male yellow labs together before adding a group of juvies. At least with the yellow labs a group of just males works as there is no spawning behavior. I am thinking that may hold true for the acei as well. It didn't work with demasoni and I doubted it would with the cobalts either.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I didn't have your luck with all male labs. It's not a all male tank but all 3 of my labs turned out to be males and eventually one was getting picked on by the other two. So bad that I had to remove him. The other two tolerate each other for now. I was trying to get females for them but might end up giving up the labs. Good quality is hard to find around here.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Having any females in the tank is going to increase the aggression amongst the males.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
emptyhead said:
I currently have an all male mbuna tank (55 g) with single males of 5 species and a large group (14) of yellow labs. Everything is good in the tank. It took a while to get the tank in balance - but all is good.
This is one of those, if it ain't broke don't fix it situations. If you start adding more fish you could throw the harmony completely out of balance again, not to meantion that you are well stocked as it stands now.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave said:
emptyhead said:
This is one of those, if it ain't broke don't fix it situations. If you start adding more fish you could throw the harmony completely out of balance again, not to meantion that you are well stocked as it stands now.
What? I'm not supposed to constantly tinker with the setup and stocking of my tank? This changes everything.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided not to add any other fish besides the ones in my fry tank. I added 12 juvie demasoni - which turned into 11 after my crabro ate one. After watching the demasoni I am glad I didn't add others. I have had just one demasoni for a while since trading the rest and after adding some back to the tank I am thinking I would enjoy again having all those crazy demasoni all over the tank again.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have an all male tank and the only species I have multiple males of is Acei. I have 2 Msuli (yellow finned) and 2 Ngara (white tails). So far they do very well, but the Ngara are not full grown yet, so it may change. Also most of my fish are very mild mannered and either Labs or Cynos, so that may have a part in it too. My current yellow lab is one of the most aggressive in the tank, so I would not risk putting a second one in. Most yellow labs are milder mannered though, so it can work. As for multiple male cobalt zebras without any girls, I think you will end up with one anyway. Hope what ever you choose works out.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
emptyhead, what are you going to do with those 5 single males, if you go back to having lots of dems?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.