Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a group of 7 in my 175 a couple of months ago. They are about 3-4 inches.

I am worried i may have gotten ALL males - they are all very territorial with each other and i watched carefully if any of them are not participating and every one of them enters in the fight. they leave pretty much everyone else in the tank alone, but the whole group is fighting for sand space.

Anyone keep these and could give me any clues for male vs female on these guys? my fear is someone was clearing out all their males and i was the 'lucky' recipient....

Any help here is GREATLY appreciated....

brian

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I haven't kept that species, but if I remember right, you'll need to vent them to have any ideas about their sex ratio. :roll: I know that's probably not the answer you were hoping for...

About getting all males- it happens by accident sometimes, but you are right to wonder if you got someone's leftovers. It seems unlikely since these fish are young, yet. However, if you bought from a reputable seller, they may be able to throw some females your way if you can confirm 7 males by venting.

Hint- for venting, take pictures. Put all seven fish in a bucket, and then grab them one at a time for a photograph. This is best done with four hands- find someone who's good at taking macro shots while you are handling the fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts