Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys i a friend of mine is having the same problem she has a 55 gall with 2 hob filters, one is a double carthadage while the other is a those porcelean rings thing :( which i don't know how that helps on filtering but oh well.
her tank get this like green cloud, did a 50 water change gets somewhat clear then greens back up. here is a pic you wanna see what i am talking about

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Looks like an algae bloom. Has your friend tested the water parameters? Specifically Nitrates? I would continue small water changes every other day or so but try to test the water first. Keeping the lights off in the tank may help as well.

PS. The rings are for bio filtration. The good bacteria house themselves there (and other places) which is essential for proper water quality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright rgr thanks a bunch. i will tell her now lights for a few days, an do 50 water changes. right now her ammonia levels are good not sure on the nitraes though. we have to get a tester for that.
thanks a lot cause i was wondering what could be causing this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it is the ammonia levels are off the charts in that tank. she only houses the oscar in that tank cause it ate a few of the goldfish she bought for the 55 that she thought would be okay. she was warned by me more than once to not do it but wouldn't listen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the same problem. I've treated with chemicals, and turned down my lights. Haven't tested my water yet. I was told getting a uv filter would work. Is there any specific features I should be looking for? Any brand better/worse than another. HELP!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
lady_alia said:
I've got the same problem. I've treated with chemicals, and turned down my lights. Haven't tested my water yet. I was told getting a uv filter would work. Is there any specific features I should be looking for? Any brand better/worse than another. HELP!!
I've never used a UV filter so can't help you there. Have you tested your water parameters including Nitrates? But to start I would do frequent water changes and cut back on feeding. I'm not a fan of adding chemicals in my tanks. That doesn't usually solve the problem.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm willing to bet that 55 is not cycled. If you look in the pic, it has no substrate in it, and the constant cleaning is getting rid of any bacteria trying to colonize. I would also recommend draining that tank and putting it on a proper stand, a 55 gallon tank balanced on a 36" table is going to turn into 55 gallons of water on the floor sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The tank has Goldies innit. Pretty common for commons to green up a tank, actually they prefer it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts