Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Around a month ago I bought a pair of Green Texas Cichlids. Last Sunday I went away on a course and on Monday my wife phoned me to say the filter in the tank had packed up. :roll:

So, as she doesn't know what she's doing I said as a last resort she would have to move the pair into my community tank until I get home to sort out a new filter.

I arrived home last night and was amazed when I looked in to my community tank to see that the pair have changed colour. They are pretty black on thier rear halves and normal light colour on the front. I then spotted a few eggs at the back of the tank on a piece of driftwood with what looked like a load of grey stuff - duds or something - however I've just looked in again this morning and noticed that the grey mess is in fact a whole load of fry! All wiggling around! The only thing amiss in the tank is the fact that my entire shoal of neon tetras have all been eaten!!

Now, the tank that I had them in has been sat for a week with no filter, heater etc running. There are some tiny tiny tiny little wiggly things in there now - any idea what they are? They are not fish! Before putting a new filter in it should I do a complete water change? I'm going to head to the lfs today to replace the filter but won't be able to put the fish back in yet beacause it will need to cycle again now :roll: Or can I use some media from my external filter in the new filter so that I can introduce fish straight away?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wrote all that and forget to ask, had my cichlids have had thier babies in thier own tank, would I need to seperate them off or leave the babies in with the adults? I'm thinking now about emptying my community tank and setting it up with the cichlids and having another tank to raise some of the fry...

·
Registered
281 Posts
congrates on your new fry :thumb:
i would remove 50% of the water in the tank and then just set your new filter away, should be fine.
i would leave the fry for a week or two and i would put them in there own tank and grow them on. you could leave them in with the parents but they might get eaten!!
good luck anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! In that case, do you think it might be a good idea to leave the cichlids in my community tank and use the tank that was thiers as a nursery tank for thier young instead? Also, what would you recomend for feeding the fry? Was thinking of just crushing up some of the normal tropical flakes but have just been reading about some baby brine shrimp things...?

·
Registered
281 Posts
just leave the parents were they are and use the other for the fry if you want to keep them.
i just crush up the pellets that i feed my adults, i use hikari gold.
i have never done the baby brine thing.
i have a green texas, its about 3 inch and is a female, nice fish.
easy to breed i belive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hikari has a product called first bites that I use till they get a little bigger then I crush up the pellets I normally use. Grats on the spawn.
The wiggly things in the other tank might be some small worms that pop up usually from overfeeding. I can't think of the name right now.

Good luck with fry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Got the tank up and running again now :)
Shall I move them today or wait until they are swimming around? At the moment they are all in a group with the occasional one getting away before the mum sucks it up and spits it back with the rest. Not sure how old they are as I've been away all week and the wife 'hadn't noticed' :roll:

I'll have a look for those Hakari Gold - I use Tetra Pro Colour crisps with the odd cube of frozen bloodworm.

I would post a pic or two but all I'm getting is blur!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Jimothy_Bobbins,

Congratulations. When you remove the fry to grow out in the other tank, I would leave approximately 50% of the fry with the parents. Texas cichlids are notoriously rough on their spawning partner and having the fry to raise could strengthen their bond. Plus you probably don’t need more than have the spawn to raise to a larger size.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to leave half with the parents. Its fascinating to watch how busy these fish are, constantly guarding the area and mounding sand up all around! I don't suppose you could tell me when would be best to remove some of the fry? Should I wait until they are swimming about or should I take some now while they are still staying together wriggling in a heap!?

Thanks again for everyones replies!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Whenever I take fry out of my tanks, I just use a gravel vac and siphon them into a bucket and pour them into their grow out tank.

As for feeding, decapsulated brine shrimp is what TheFishGuy recommends and I have to admit it works well, saves the hassle of hatching your own.

I also use crushed sinking pellets, I buy a salt or pepper grinder, load the pellets in a grind them into the tank. I usually save the crushed pellets until the fry are a little bigger.

·
Registered
228 Posts
those wiggly things are a type of worm

if they are very tiny small and brownish string looking things that have random spaz attacks then they are harmless....

but they come from over feeding and leaving un eaten food in the tank

my biddy had them in his oscar tank and we had to change all the water and rinse the gravel out to rid them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys, thanks to everyone who replied with advice, I appreciate it. Both tanks are now running as they should be. I have left the adults in my community tank and all seems to be going well in there. I syphoned off around half of the fry into my other tank and left the others with the parents. They are all gone now and the adults are fading back to thier normal colours, they only just lost the last 20 or so yesterday though, I guess they got eaten although I never saw it happen.

Anyway, I managed to get a couple of half decent pics of the fry and thought some of you may like to see them. I'm not sure how fast these guys will grow but they are swimming around happily at the moment and are absolutely tiny!! I wasn't sure weather to start a new thread with the pics or not but here they are anyway...

100_2595 by Jimothy_Bobbins, on Flickr

100_2584 by Jimothy_Bobbins, on Flickr

·
Registered
677 Posts
The fry are looking gr8 Jimothy_Bobbins...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, for the first week they stayed together in two groups. They are now all swimming around without sticking to a group now, great fun to see! I'll take the odd photo every now and then as they are growing to show development/growth rate...

·
Registered
281 Posts
what about the parents!! could you post a pic of mam and dad ??
wont be long and they will be at it again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
nice, i have just a female, i have thought about getting a male as lfs have some the same size as mine, but then again if they pair up i will have trouble with the rest of my fish.
here is a pic of my female.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts