Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

My Green Terror has developed a couple of lumps on its body at around the abdomen. Other than that, its behaviour is quite normal, ie eating well and very active.

Melafix hasn't helped.

From the picture, can you tell what it is? Would it be lymphocystis or something else?

cheers

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Nice photo resolution... wish I could say what it was though.

Sometimes identifying the cause is better than identifying the disease. What size tank is this? What fish are in there? How long has the tank been running? What is the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate concentrations in your tank water? How often do you do water changes? How long has the sore been there? Any other fish have them? How did you use the Melafix?

If you don't have a test kit, your local fish store will test your water for you, but it's a good idea to order a test kit anyway. After you test the water, do a 50% water change using a high quality dechlorinator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi triscuit

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, didn't include the tank parameters as I thought perhaps the picture may make it evident what the problem is.

Ammonia = Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
pH = 6.85 (stable according to Pinpoint pH monitor - but would like it at 7.0 for some of the other tankmates)

W/C - 30% once a week, plus vacumming as necessary and replacing the water

Tank size - 6x2x2

Tankmates - Oscar, Green Texas, Jack Dempsey (GT and Oscar on equal footing, GT dominant over Texas and JD), bunch of Silver Dollars, bunch of Clown Loaches, Pleco, Feather-fin catfish

Sore noticed for about a week (may have been there longer, unnoticed)

No other fish had them

Tanks been running for 4 months (and it was seeded with an established filter)

Added Melafix as I initially thought it was from some scraping with other fish

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Thanks- and I think you were right- that you are looking at an injury.

I don't see fungus or unusual swelling, the wound is nice and pink. I would keep up with the melafix (added as instructions say) and watch closely. If you see white puffy stuff or if it gets redder or bigger, then we'll look at possible treatments. For now, clean water, lights off, easy on the food and more melafix is my advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts