Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start off saying I am new to fish. I started my first tank about 5 months ago. I have a 46 gallon with a variety of cichlids. Yesterday I noticed something strange under the GT. At first i thought it was poop. Today I noticed it is white and looks like a pimple right on the anal pore. I have no Idea what to do or where to even start.

All the other fish appear to be normal.[/img]

46gal 10 fish(most about 1-2 inch, GT 3.5inches)
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 Ammonia
7.6 PH

Feeding mainly spectrum pellets
occasional bloodworm
Roommate put feeder fish into the tank about 3 weeks ago. Once and never again.

I have pictures and a small vid clip. If i can figure how to post here.

Thanks in advance to any1 who can help!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Should be getting some kind of nitrate reading. How long has the tank been running? Is the fish still eating?
Could be a prolapsed rectum. For now, do a partial water change, ~30% and add 1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 5g, premixed and added gradually over 5-6 hours, stop feeding for 24 hours and observe over the next day or two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an API test kit. The nitrate is the yellow color 0 ppm. The tank has been running for 5 months. He ate earlier this afternoon.

The fish is doing something very strange. It is digging a hole and rubbing against a rock. It is also acting aggressive. Could it be laying eggs?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
HenryF212 said:
I have an API test kit. The nitrate is the yellow color 0 ppm. The tank has been running for 5 months. He ate earlier this afternoon.

The fish is doing something very strange. It is digging a hole and rubbing against a rock. It is also acting aggressive. Could it be laying eggs?
Well darn it, knew I forgot to type something. That's the other possiblilty, yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you recommend a good link on here that explains whats going on? Im confused. But thanks for responding so fast!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Unfortunately I know almost less than nothing about GT's or I'd explain. ;)
There doesn't appear to be a species article either. Other than recommending google, I can refer you to this thread I found regarding breeding GT's.
I'll make a note for the other mods so perhaps they can jump in.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think you have a female GT and that is her egg tube. That and the digging means she is getting ready to lay eggs. Here's a pic of my female Firemouth showing her extended tube for comparison. A couple days after this pic she laid eggs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea thats def it. Looks just like that... This may sound stupid but why would she lay eggs without a male GT in the tank?

·
Registered
352 Posts
HenryF212 said:
Yea thats def it. Looks just like that... This may sound stupid but why would she lay eggs without a male GT in the tank?
Not sure why....instinct I guess. My firemouth did the same thing. She was alone in my QT tank when she laid eggs.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
HenryF212 said:
why would she lay eggs without a male GT in the tank?
This is why there are so many accidental hybrid cichlids- females will spawn, and males will happily try to fertilize even when no suitable mate is around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts