Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently received a 20 gallon and i hadnt decided what i should put in it, i was debating between a blue acara, and electric blue jack dempsey, a jack dempsey, or a green terror cichlid. i want one of each of the fish, but my tank can only house 2 fish. Would it be safe to have a jack dempsey with a green terror cichlid? please help, i need to know pro's and cons about house some of these fish, comments or anything at all would be helpful, thank you. :fish:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Honestly, I think a 20 gallon is too small for just one of those fishes. If you get 2, I would expect a lot of aggression once they start to mature.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, why not do something like a firemouth (if it's a 20L) or some dwarf cichlids (rams, kribs, apistos) or a pair of cons?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would house a male and female convict. They are easy to take care of and they also pair easily. Also, very nice looking fish! I have a pink Convict and he is one of my favorites!

·
Registered
242 Posts
One single Jack Dempsey, Blue Acara, or Green Terror is too small for a twenty gallon, even at a juvenile age.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Because they all get far too large for that tank size.

GTs max out around 12"

Jacks max out around 10-12"

Acaras really need the 36" tank length space

Putting one of those fish in a 20 gallon (especially if it's a 20 high and not a 20 long) would be like you living in a closet

·
Registered
284 Posts
Green terrors get to about 12", JD's about 10". Blue Acara's a a bit smaller, 7" or so. The JDs and GTs would barely be able to turn around in a 20 gallon, and they could move about a foot in one direction before reaching the end of the tank. The acara is closer to being a reasonable size for that tank, but still cramped.
The problem with buying juvies with the intention of upgrading a tank is that they often grow faster than a person is able to upgrade the tank. Water conditions in a small tank deteriorate quickly, especially with a larger sized fish. And when a fish isn't happy in a tank, it's hard to enjoy the tank and even harder to dedicate the time for maintenance.
I would highly recommend either a larger tank or smaller fish. Check out some dwarf cichlids, they could really work out well in a small tank.

Edit: you beat me to the punch Chubbs

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
haha thanks duds - again my suggestions...

-Kribs
-Single firemouth
-Apistos
-Bolivian rams
-Cutteri
-dwarf flag cichlids (if it's a 20L)

Or you could just go buy a 55 on craigslist for like 100 bucks ready to go (stand hood tank filter) and get the JD or get the GT (not both)

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
It's pretty simple really.

Buy the tank, then the fish because life's what happens when you're making other plans.

Things happen which prevent you from getting that bigger tank...

Be patient, do research and you will eventually be able to get the fish you want.

Join a cichlid club. Stop, listen and learn. The hobby will be much more rewarding if you do!

It took me 20 years to reach my goal... Have a tank big enough to swim in... Now that I've reached it I've got another one... Have a tank big enough I can do laps in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts