Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3879DB39-3218-44D6-87EE-45EF727CE6A4.png
Hi y'all, new here! This is my first post :D
I currently have a Green terror orange Saum and Oscar growing in a 75 gal (soon to be 120 when I move). The GT has been showing signs of aggression, especially when we had the convict in there. They teamed up on the Oscar. He's since been removed and the GT has gotten all of their color back (and more!) and I am wondering the sex of him/her. Any suggestions?
YouTube video shows swimming around FT Oscar :)

[youtube][/youtube] https://youtube.com/shorts/5EkhQ3uQxDA?feature=share
View attachment 1
E9F8F9FC-60CE-4DA6-85FC-BE8FD129E159.png

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Female.
Not only is her appearance a fit on pretty much all female traits.....but the video shows her breeding tube is out enough to confirm it is female. Tube is too thick and blunt to be male.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
+1 to BC in SK.
She's a good-looking Cichlid. And, who says female Green Terrors are pushovers? Wimps?!! Whew..... That dominant, aggressive Grrrrrllll... has turned into your new Tank Boss! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thank you for the responses! I thought this whole time it was a male despite what internet says. I was recommended this website and it's been very helpful and informative! I have posted another video of the GT.
Today, for the first time, I was bit while cleaning the tank. She's very upset at me and the Oscar.. I'm not sure what happened. She's been charging at the glass. Today is the first day this has happened and I'm a little worried. The Oscar is being bullied into the corner and turning white from stress. Will they sort it out or can the GT take him down despite the size difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Likely, she is getting ready to lay eggs. Actually, her behavior in the video is more consistent with a female who already has eggs, and is defending them. If she has eggs, she will hover over them, fanning them, though approaching the tank may cause her to focus on defending the perimeter of her territory. Observe her from a distance to see if she is hovering over the surface of a rock or glass, then observe in close to see if there are eggs laid on the surface.
Female cichlids can lay eggs with out a male present. Fairly common occurrence. The process is short lived since the eggs are not fertilized and will fungus with in 2-3 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts